Sign in to follow this  
Tay1or

Combating shrinkage

How can I preshrink a leather? I'm using goatskins hides that are drum dyed. They are generally soft and supple with a little bit of elasticity.  I want to keep them that way. I glue leather to leather with pva to exact measurements, but some of my materials shrink over a 24 hour period upto about an 1/8th inch with effects my finished product. 

I cant change my glue or methods, and prefer to use the same leather materials at times. Is there away to preshrink or combat the shrinkage? Higher quality veg tan hides with a medium firmness eliminate the issue, but sometimes in prefer to use the other materials to offer a more budget friendly option to customers 

If you try to shrink the goat it will thicken and harden, what you don't want. Put your hand out with fingers spread, close your fingers together then make a fist, thats what happens to the fibres in leather as you shrink it, they pull together.

Two things causing the shrinkage after glueing: 1. using PVA glue, which is water based. as the wet leather dries it pulls in.  2, You might be stretching the goat a bit as you place it

As you don't want to change these the only thing I can think of doing, which I do with goat lining, is to cut it oversize and cut it neat after the glue has not only dried but cured, eg after a couple of days.