Sign in to follow this  
SouthernDandy

New guy intro

8917F1E5-0AC0-4F0D-9C8A-C20F73DBE59D.thumb.jpeg.92e1f35146c91dd0c07e15e6ce9f5531.jpegHi gents,

been into leather working for a month and a half.

1.   FIRST TIME:  I was 15 and bought some buckskin scrap.  Made a crappy wallet with thread and an awl.  

2.  NOW:  Got into it from watching YouTube and moving away from an area with surf fishing.  After a couple months started to experiment.  Did three passport wallets and two knife sheaths for some Zwilling knives.  

3.  WHY I JOINED: To find out things that YouTube doesn’t show.  Granted, I may be having problems with cheap tools and cheap leather.  But some people look like they are edge skiving wallet pockets with slightly damp veg tan.  That would make sense.  A lot of sense considering some veg tan is hard as MRE BOX cardboard.  

WHAT I KNOW SO FAR:  Nothing really except I am better off using sandpaper to knock off lips than a $10 #0 edge beveler from Amazon.  

0E8BA91B-8731-4E6D-BAB5-64F5A6523490.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.

Hi Welcome aboard, This is a great hobby to fill in the gap of Surf Fishing. I still do some surf fishing, and I am able to make a few articles out of leather that helps keep my equipment in order.

Jim

Welcome aboard, lots of good folks here with tons of experience and knowledge!  If you are close to Springfield, Spring field leather would be a good place to see, touch and buy.  People there are very knowledgeable and can also point you in the right direction. Rodney