jetech

replacing saddle parts

I have an older saddle that I picked up from a shop, when it gets humid out the saddle has a mold like smell. I have tried several things to clean it up but nothing works long term.

I am a beginner at leather work but was wondering if it would be reasonable to remove all the leather pieces from the tree and use them as patterns to cut new leather and re-assemble the saddle.

This is a plain saddle with no carving, probably not worth the time but it fits my horse well and I hate to throw away a saddle.

Is this a project for someone relatively new to leather work or do you think I am getting involved in a project that will be harder than I think?

Everything would be hand stitched. The parts that have me a little worried are the horn and seat. The seat is suede and I am not sure how to replace that yet.

Thanks for any advice or comments

I would suggest you do some research on saddle making process. It will give you a better idea of what is involved in fitting pieces to the tree. It's not a simple a cutting copies of what is on the saddle now and applying the new parts. Read up , you'll understand better. Good luck. GH

Once you have somewhat of an idea how things are done, it might be a good way to make first saddle. but I would get a book or video first just to get an idea of what's involved.

You might try taking it apart and cleaning the leather real well...I am not an expert but there has to be leather cleaners out there that will deal with any mold...

I have a few questions. First, do you have any sentimental attachment to the saddle? What shape is the tree in? And how much do you want to put into the saddle? I have had several saddles in my shop lately that had leather that was in good shape but the tree was rotten. If the saddle means a lot to you, then study up and you might be alright; but it's an awful lot of work and if you're willing to go through all the time and expense, it might be a better idea to build one from scratch using the old saddle as a pattern. Try posting a picture of the saddle on this forum and with a few measurements, someone will be able to point you in the right direction to getting a same or similar tree.

Hope this helps

Ryan

Ryan

The tree looks to be in good shape. I don't mind putting a few hundred dollars into it replacing leather but I have no idea what that would actually cost. I think the previous owner had it stored in a damp place.

whithead

I did take it apart some and cleaned it the best I could with alcohol and Lysol. I don't know what else I should try. Some of the leather is dry and cracked especially one of the fenders.

If you're looking to learn the craft of saddle making, then this would be a good project. Take that thing apart down to the bare tree and see how it's all put together. The tree might not be worth the expense of rebuilding on it, but if it's sound and really does fit your horse, then get Dusty Johnson's book and video on saddle making and invest some money in leather and a few tools.