Yorkman

Singer 111W103 Tension Issue

I have a Singer 111W103 that I just bought and have oiled it up and I can't seem to get the tension adjustment correct.  I can get it to almost sew properly if I bottom out the tension adjustment spring aginst the disks.  I know this is not right, so I thought I would ask for some help here.  I am using a size 20 needle and Poly T-90 thread on marine vinyl.  I have a Singer 331k4 and 16-188 that can sew this combo, but the 111 can't.  This is the first thing I have tried to sew on the new to me 111.  What am I doing wrong.  The picture is of the bobbin side with fairly thight upper tension.

Thanks - Yorkman

Photo on 4-26-20 at 11.45 AM.jpg

Please post a photo of how you have your machine threaded.

I need to get my pics smaller to send them. I’m working on it. Thanks 

Here are pics of my threading.  Thanks - Yorkman

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

I just took the beehive spring off my 16-188 and put it on the 111 and now it works.  For some reason the spring for the 111 is not providing enough pressure.  I have the original 111 spring that the machine came with, and a new spring from the tension assembly I got from Toledo Industrial.  Both are quite a bit weaker than the 16-188 spring.  The thing sews perfectly now.  I am not sure, but it seems to need quite a bit of pressure.

On a side note, the 16-188 sews fine with the spring from the 111, so I guess this is OK?

Thanks - Yorkman