Sign in to follow this  
bigscientist

Hairline scratch or score on new leather sofa - concern?

Hi everyone,

We took delivery of our new top-grain leather sofa yesterday and there's a hairline scratch that I don't know what to make of. It's near the edge of one of the backrests and its about 3/4" long. The scratch looks like it might've been already tended to (the surrounding area is a little darker almost with a stitching pattern as if the manufacturers tried rubbing a glue or compound over it). If I run my finger over it I can't really feel anything (maybe because of the treatment), but I don't try too hard because I don't want to make it worse. It doesn't bother me at all in its current state. If it gets worse over time and years, however, I'll be really upset. I don't want it to peel like bonded leather. I've never owned top grain before so I don't know how severe this is. 

I think we have 3 days to request the store to replace any furniture at no-charge, but I would prefer to not have to as I hate going through all the trouble and there's no guarantee the replacement will be any better. 

So is this actually a cause of concern? What type of scratch do you think this is and will it peel or open up and get worse? Thank you so much! 

IMG_4293.jpeg

IMG_4294.jpeg

Edited by bigscientist

Edited by stelmackr