Rusty

Horse

This picture is one I did some time back - I think it turned out pretty fair.

Rusty

Sorrell_Horse.jpg

post-5878-1202218519_thumb.jpg

California_Girl.jpg

This was my first attempt at tooling a human face.

Rusty

post-5878-1202223204_thumb.jpg

That looks very nice and authentic, I mean you managed to capture that lively look of a person.

That seem to be so hard to do on leather. I have not much experience in this but I did tool a vikingface some time ago and it looks quite dead or like I portrayed a dollface.

Nice frame going there also.

Tom

I see you have Al Stohlman's Figure Carving Finesse book. There is no better way to learn how to carve figures. That's how I learned, and I still use the book every time I try something new. Al knew what he was doing. Keep up the good work, you're off to a wonderful start on faces!

Kathy

Tom - I know what you mean about it coming out looking dead. I've tried a couple since this one, and they didn't turn out worth doodly. Good practice for figure carving though.

Rusty

I see you have Al Stohlman's Figure Carving Finesse book. There is no better way to learn how to carve figures. That's how I learned, and I still use the book every time I try something new. Al knew what he was doing. Keep up the good work, you're off to a wonderful start on faces!

Kathy

Yes ma'am - I think the book is essential if one ventures off into figure carving. And, of course, the pictorial carving finesse, in my opinion, is an essential tool as well.

I don't consider myself in a league with the masters, but I keep trying.

Rusty

Welcome Rusty!

Beautiful job! I like the way you "cut" the border! Very nice!

Wow, I never have been big on figure carving. I'm just not that good at it and I could never motivate myself to practice much. I just get by with it. The color is that dye or acrylic?

Welcome Rusty!

Beautiful job! I like the way you "cut" the border! Very nice!

Thanks Scouter. It's made from one piece of leather, and, after I finish the picture, I carefully cut the outer border with an exacto knife - time consuming, but I think it enhances the picture.

Rusty

Wow, I never have been big on figure carving. I'm just not that good at it and I could never motivate myself to practice much. I just get by with it. The color is that dye or acrylic?

I have to confess, there was a time when I was intimidated by the thought of figure carving and pictorial carving until I figured - what the hey - and decided to give it a try. I think I'm getting a little better with each piece I do.

As for the dye - the gold is cova dye, and the sky is a mixture of light blue and white cova dye. The rest of it is dyed with Fiebing's spirit dyes. I have an air brush and compressor, but I started out in this hobby using bristle brushes, and tend to stick with them whenever possible - old dog, new tricks.....

Rusty

Just seems like you need to be a painter to get the color and shading right.

Just seems like you need to be a painter to get the color and shading right.

Yeah Tracy, I've always had a degree of difficulty with my dying - just when I think it's right, I stand back and look at it, and, sure enough, I'll have to do something else to it. This hobby seems to be a never-ending education.