Sign in to follow this  
CloverJack

Experimenting with Antioxidants in Leather Conditioner

Well... here we go,

Disclaimer: This being my first post I ask that you please bear with me regarding any potential faux pas or lapse in etiquette on my part. 

Over the past few weeks I've made an effort to learn as much as I can from this forum before delving into the field, and I've quickly realized that the wealth of information contained here could occupy my evening reads for the next dozen or so decades. I am truly grateful to all those who've spent so much of their valuable time refining the craft and sharing their knowledge with the rest of the community. 

That being said, I apologize if the question posed in this topic has been answered or addressed somewhere else, and I've just not come across it thus far.

Now to the crux!

I've recently been perusing the forums for posts on conditioning leather and though I'll most likely be using neatsfoot oil, I'm curious about EVOO as an alternative (should a future project with lighter leather require a treatment with less darkening effect).

Understanding that there are mixed testimonies as to whether or not EVOO will go rancid overtime, the possibility nevertheless causes me some level of apprehension. Since it is my understanding that oxidation is what causes rancidity to take effect, I then began to wonder what could be added to the oil in order to reduce (or even negate) this potentiality. A couple antioxidants used commonly in food service jumped out as possibilities: BHA, or Butylated hydroxyanisole (for it's comparably high oil solubility) and Gallic Acid for it's overall efficiency at transferring it's antioxidizing properties to the resulting solution.

TL;DR - Does anyone have any reliable information (or personal experience) in regards to augmenting their conditioning solution with the addition of antioxidants? Were the overall results desirable, detrimental, or indiscernible?

I sincerely thank you ahead of time for taking a moment to read this,

v/r,

-Jack

accidental double post

Edited by ScottWolf

Well damn. I accidentally hit a button combo that double posted my long and unfinished reply. Then I somehow deleted both of them trying to correct the double post. Will try and repost it later.

Edited by ScottWolf