Sign in to follow this  
DJole

Sewing Python on a machine

I am fabricating a book cover out of white python skin for a client.

I have a rough made of pigskin to test out pattern sizing (I don't want to cut that expensive python skin until I KNOW the pattern will fit the book!).

But when I actually start sewing the python, I am not sure what thread type, or weight, I should use.

It will be sewn on a machine, and I do have leather sewing machine needles.

So, here are my questions:

1) what kind of thread should I use? I don't want to cut the leather with the thread, and neither do I want the thread to fall apart in a year or two. The book cover will likely see frequent use (at least weekly).

2) any problems I need to anticipate while using the machine on that skin?

3) What kind of finish should go on that leather?

thanks in advance!

I did a black python and stingray motorcycle seat a few months ago and in addition to backing the python with pig, I used cotton canvas thread and glued my seams back to kepp them flat. I used a normal sewing machine set on a long straight stitch with no problem with the stitch cutting the leathers. you do have to go slow and keep the foot preasure tight while helping the leather through in places. I havrn't put a finish on it yet cuz I'm waiting to be able to afford a gel/foam insert. but I intend to use the Fiebings Aussie conditioner. will use the aussie wax heavily on my seams inside and out to keep it protected. I don't know if this is the proper way to do this, just the way I did it. there are probably folx that know much more about this than I. hope this helps. phil