Madewell

Lining on ID case, et. al.

I have had this problem with wallet and ID case kits. The leather lining that is glued to the leather creates creases when the wallet or case is folded in half, rather than remaining smooth.  Is there a way to avoid this? The lining leather is probably pigskin and is thin already, so I'm at a loss as to what to do.

The problem's one of radius. Imagine it's wrapped around a kebab stick. The lining's a radius of 1mm, the back 2mm. Twice as much back leather has to fit into the same distance, so either it bulges out when the wallet's flat or the lining wants to come inwards when it's folded. It's rarely flat, so go for the closed option.  The baclk's going to be longer than the lining - experiment with some cardboard to see what I mean.

The secret's not to glue the spine around the fold. Depending on how closely the lining's going to come together (determined by how many cards are in the slots), the wrap may be between 3mm and 1cm, and the back between 5mm and 2 cm. Glue it up folded, but leave those lengths unglued, spaced equally either side of the midpoint.

Thank you for your help, Rahere. It makes sense and I will certainly try that.