Zdcowan

1st sewing machine opinion

Ive been doing leather work for a little over 10 years now but i have always hand sewn.

Im looking to finally buy a machine. I need something i can sew zippers and yokes on chaps but still want to be able to sew breast collars and bridles, and in between. 3 to 4oz chap up to 15oz veg tan if there is such a beast.

Looking for opinion on brand and model. Around 2k would be best. New machines only.

Edited by Zdcowan

What is the minimum and maximum thickness you might have to sew? Will the layers be secured with glue, staples or nails?

The answers to these questions will tell us the range of thread sizes the machine needs to handle. This will also reveal the needle sizes.

Honestly 3- 4 oz oil tan or bag leather at a minimum doubled and most likely glued 

Maximum 15 oz vegtan for some tack.

59 minutes ago, Zdcowan said:

Honestly 3- 4 oz oil tan or bag leather at a minimum doubled and most likely glued 

Maximum 15 oz vegtan for some tack.

This is a fairly modest range of thicknesses. There are lots of sewing machines that can handle up to 1/4 inch without having linkages hitting together. One that comes to mind, from my own experience, is the Consew 206RB-5. It can sew your entire thickness range and a little more; up to about 3/8 inch seams. I use an 18 inch version of this machine and I love it.