Angievw

Adler 467 fa 373

Hi- I picked up an Adler 467 FA 373 with a 3 phase 220 motor- I want to switch it out with a servo- will all the functions still work??  It's DIRTY- and am working on cleaning it up. I didn't get to run it before I bought it- it has been sitting for a long time.  

For some reason I can't post pictures.

No photo description available.

That depends on which motor and controller you install. If you Install a $1,000+ modern EFKA motor and controller like the EFKA DA321G (https://www.efka.net/en/products/control-box/da321g/)  or other high-end system that is designed to be used with this machine, then the automation functions likely can be made to work. It won’t be a trivial undertaking and you still need 220V.

If you install a basic sub-$200 servo motor, none of the automation functions will work, and you will have trouble operating basic functions like foot lift or reverse, because the machine is configured with pneumatic cylinders to perform those function via switches and valves. There may simply be no manual reverse lever, for example.

I have on of these machines and built a rotary 220V 3-phase converter to run it. Works like a charm and is a joy to use. Ready-to-use rotary phase converters like the American Rotary AR-5 run $475. Not exactly cheap, but you can run the machine the way it was intended to be run. Cheap static 3-phase converters do NOT work in this application, I tried. 

If you install a basic motor without automation functions, it’s still possible to add pneumatic switches to control functions like foot lift and reverse manually via pedal or knee switch. I used a pneumatic switch that replaces the pedal linkage to add pneumatic pedal-heel foot lift functionality to a machine once. 

image.jpeg

In any case you’ll need a small air compressor to operate any pneumatic features of the machine.

Here’s a sewing demo video I made with my machine a few years back running on 220V 3-phase, just to show you how it works in full-function mode.

Also, make sure you read this topic - it contains a lot of wisdom about the Adler 467:

Edited by Uwe

Thanks for all that info!  Of course people told me I could swap it out no worries- but I kind of figured it wouldn't be that easy.  Hmmmmm.....Is the rotary converter you mentioned hard to install- just use it with the existing motor- correct?  I guess the price isn't too bad considering I didn't pay much for the machine.

Thanks Again

Angie

The rotary converter is just a separate device that plugs into your 220V outlet (like an electric clothes dryer or range type outlet - every house in the U.S. has 220V available in the circuit breaker box.) You may need an electrician to install a 220V outlet in your work area. Plug the phase converter into that 220V outlet and then you just plug your sewing machine into the outlet on the rotary converter. You may have to change the plug on the sewing machine power cord to match the one on the rotary converter, which is fairly simple to do.

This screen shot from a video gives you an idea of how big the rotary phase converter is in the portable configuration. It’s essential an electric motor/generator and a box with electronics. Other configurations have the motor sit on the ground and the box with the electronics mounted on the wall. Same function, just a different configuration. I have mine mounted on a small moving dolly so that I can wheel it around and use it in different rooms. They are quite heavy.

822CAB22-AE53-42A2-95C0-12218F23996C.jpeg

Aside from the rotary phase converter, you’ll also need a compressed air source for the pneumatic system. I use a small, relatively quiet air compressor and it works just fine. Some cheap compressors are very loud when they’re running. I recommend one that similar to this California Air compressor pictured below. Similar models are available at hardware stores like Home Depot or Lowe’s.

432346DC-7493-4737-84C0-9742F64DB4E4.jpeg

Edited by Uwe