MtlBiker

First Moulded Leather Pouch... beginning steps

I received my 4-6 oz veg tan leather and have started my first moulded pouch project.  I'll show you what I've got so far and outline the steps I plan to follow in order to finish it.  You guys have been really helpful and this beginner certainly appreciates that.  My idea is that the finished pouch will be black, with a 2-3 oz already finished black leather lining that will hide the stitching (or rivets) for the back belt loop as well as the inside of the snap on the front fact.  I'm hoping you could tell me if my proposed steps are correct (and in the correct order)... 

1) I've soaked my leather and put it onto my form with weights to dry.  I had the lining leather and the veg tan together with the flesh sides facing each other.  It's now about 30 hours and the leather is still not completely dry but the form looks good to me.

2) I'll take the pieces apart once dry and cut both leathers to the right size, leaving my proposed 1/4" seam allowance, and then install the belt loop on the back and the front snap closure.

3) Dye all pieces black

4) Install the belt loop and front snap closure

5) Use contact cement and glue the inner lining piece to the outer.

6) Stitch all around, with the front bottom folded up to form the pouch

7) Finish the edges (not sure how yet)

The first photo shows my veg tan leather on the form, still drying.  The second photo shows what I'm putting into the pouch (rfi-shielded metal credit card holder) and my first attempt at making a leather pouch for this.  I used finished leather that I didn't form and didn't use a lining.  Pretty amateurish I know, but ya gotta start somewhere.

Thanks for any help.

IMG_7780.JPG

IMG_7782.JPG