Sign in to follow this  
TonyBaloney

Oops! (casing with Windex)

Dear fellow leather workers,

One would think this goes without saying, yet after 11 years in the craft, I'm here to tell you (myself, really)..

Do NOT case your leather with Windex!!!!

..and in the event you leave a bottle of it on your bench, right next to the water bottle..  better hope it's for a black belt!! lol

ooohhh boy... Need to see a pic of this!

Never tried Windex for wet-forming. I have used isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), which evaporates very rapidly and also has an effect similar to applying heat during the drying process. This can be useful when we have a quantity of smaller items (like magazine pouches, speedloader pouches, ammo pouches, etc) to move through production expeditiously. Working time is quite short, so we have to move right along as we are doing this phase of the work.

Two cautions to keep in mind:

1. The evaporating alcohol fumes are flammable. Best to keep the work away from any possible sources of ignition or high heat. Good ventilation is needed.

2. The alcohol leaves veg-tanned cowhide very dry and rigid, little if any of the natural moisture remaining. I recommend replenishing some moisture prior to sealing and finishing as a prevention against cracking or splitting under stress. I used a light application of neatsfoot oil applied to the outer surfaces only with a dampened sponge or rag, then let the piece sit for 24 hours to allow the oil to migrate through the leather fibers and find its natural balance.

Neatsfoot oil is rendered from the feet and lower legs of cattle. It is the natural oil that helps to keep the animals' legs from freezing in cold weather. It can be thought of as "cow oil" because it is an entirely natural substance that can help to preserve and protect veg-tanned cowhide in products for extended hard use.