Gymnast

Oscillating vs rotary hook

What is the advantages and disadvantages regarding the use of a machine with oscillating hook compared to a machine with rotary hook?

Of cause a lot of other parameters matters too, but I like to focus on this alone.

I got some experiences regarding heavy use of household machines, but I am not sure it can be extended to leather sewing machines.

I noticed this previous comments regarding jam:

I cannot say, that I noticed this.

I did not made any direct measurements or comparisons. But this is my impression and I know my experience is limited.

1) The rotating hook can sew with lower bobbin thread tension and therefore less overall thread tensions. This is in order to get the same quality appearance of the stitch on the lower side of the fabric. It seems like you need to crank up the tensions for the oscillating hook machines to make the bobbin thread lay down nicely on fabric.

2) The oscillating hook machines runs easier. It is like the rotating hook machine needs more power to produce each stitch. Therefore it might be, that the wear on thread sewn is somewhat less on the oscillating hook machine.

I should like to know your impression of the differences.

I always thought it was just a speed thing - Rotary hook can sew at a higher SPM than an oscillator ?

But, as usual, there's probably more involved than I think .......

On 7/18/2021 at 4:13 PM, trash treasure said:

I always thought it was just a speed thing - Rotary hook can sew at a higher SPM than an oscillator ?

But, as usual, there's probably more involved than I think .......

Yes I agree. The Rotary hook got much less vibration issues, so it can stitch faster. But I guess that for leatherwork, you will normally not need the high speeds, and then it may be other issues that can be of interest. And yes, I guess that there is probably more involved.