Sign in to follow this  
ncenta

Does 134-35 needle system make smaller holes than other systems?

Hello,
I would like to know if the 134-35LR needle system makes smaller holes on leather than some other systems such as 135-16LR. For example, if we have the same needle size for both of the mentioned systems, will the 134-35 make smaller holes on leather?
Thank you!

Different points make different shaped holes. The smallest holes I get are with either a tri-point needle. The hole has three edges and is very close to the size of a round point needle. Slicing leather points cut an elongated oval-ish shape that is either inline (Schmetz S point), or on some angle. The stitches made with an S point appear much shorter because the edges are inline. The stitches from a slanted edge have more space between the edges, but lay off center. Tri-points lay inline and have good distance between stitches.

Some people use round point needles in leather, but run the thread through a silicon lube pot on top, and maybe also use titanium needles to offset the grabbing.

14 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Different points make different shaped holes. The smallest holes I get are with either a tri-point needle. The hole has three edges and is very close to the size of a round point needle. Slicing leather points cut an elongated oval-ish shape that is either inline (Schmetz S point), or on some angle. The stitches made with an S point appear much shorter because the edges are inline. The stitches from a slanted edge have more space between the edges, but lay off center. Tri-points lay inline and have good distance between stitches.

Some people use round point needles in leather, but run the thread through a silicon lube pot on top, and maybe also use titanium needles to offset the grabbing.

Thank you very much  for your help! 
So if I understand it right, there is no difference in hole sizes between 134-35LR needle and 135-16LR needle? 

Edited by ncenta

1 hour ago, ncenta said:

Thank you very much  for your help! 
So if I understand it right, there is no difference in hole sizes between 134-35LR needle and 135-16LR needle? 

That is correct as long as both needles have the same profile/shape at the point. If one is inline and the other on an angle, the stitches will lie differently on the material. The diameter of the body portion above the eye will be identical. As long as the shank is the same diameter, either system can be used in the needle bar/clamp. My primary walking foot needles are 135x16. But, I've got a few packs of Schmetz 134x35 in S point for inline stitches that look the same as those sewn on my Cowboy stitcher. The stitch length must be increased due to the inline slicing point.

23 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

That is correct as long as both needles have the same profile/shape at the point. If one is inline and the other on an angle, the stitches will lie differently on the material. The diameter of the body portion above the eye will be identical. As long as the shank is the same diameter, either system can be used in the needle bar/clamp. My primary walking foot needles are 135x16. But, I've got a few packs of Schmetz 134x35 in S point for inline stitches that look the same as those sewn on my Cowboy stitcher. The stitch length must be increased due to the inline slicing point.

Great to hear that!

Thank you so much for your help!