Sign in to follow this  
Kawakneurder

Durköpp Adler 267 Alternating feet adjustment

Hello all,

I have recently started to undertake the restoration of a DA 267 machine (some you might have seen this post).

During this process I had to take apart pretty much the entire upper half of the machine, so of course after putting everything back together it has to be adjusted again. I went through the whole process in the service manual, and so far it seems that everything is working perfectly except for the synchronization/height of the alternating feet. The service manual is also kind of vague on this procedure, so I thought I might as well check in here, as there's some seriously experienced people on here who probably know the answer. Here's some diagrams from the service manual:

upper.PNG.06de6c1bcb10e1bf0f0fead1e9e981ba.PNGbackside.PNG.fe5509dddd975fb14c4dff50cf80960b.PNG

So as far as I understand, the following is the procedure I need to follow consists of two main procedures: Setting the presser feet height, and synchronizing the presser feet height. I have gone through the procedure but it doesn't seem to work very consistently for me, and some things are very unclear.

Also, the problem I am having right now is that I can get the feet to cycle and feed, but if I set the walking foot height to the upper most position (h all the way up track H in fig 10), the feet give a lot of resistance and feel like they bind or something. This issue I don't have at a lower height, so it kind of points me in the direction that I am doing something wrong in presser foot height adjustment. Anyways, this is how I think the procedures should work and how I do them:

Setting presser foot height:

What I think is the procedure (what I have done) is the following:

1. Release spring P (fig 9)
  2. Loosen clamp w by loosening the two screws
  3. Put a 7.5mm height object under the presser foot
  4. Press the foot down onto the object, and tighten screws of w again
  5. Re-seat spring P (fig 9)

Now the presser foot height 'should' be adjusted properly. I have some questions about this though.

• Firstly, step 3 does not detail under which of the two presser feet you have to put the reference block. Should it be put under the inner, or the outer block?
  • Also, doesn't the position of h (fig 10) and the position of the needle matter for this adjustment? If it does matter, what position of the needle, and what position of h should I use (I assumed for h all the way up, as that is the biggest step height).

Synchronizing presser feet height

1. Set h all the way up in track H (i.e. largest step height possible)
  2. Observe which of the two feet (inner or outer) makes the taller step
  3. Rotate the hand wheel forward until the 'tallest' foot is just above the plate
  4. Loosen 'p' in fig 9
  5. Press down the foot, and tighten p again
  6. Repeat step 2 to 5 until the feet have the same stepping height

I am pretty sure I am doing this one correctly, but I have described it here for completion sake, as it is kind of coupled to the adjustment of the presser foot height.

Does anyone know what might cause this binding issue? And can anyone clarify the proper presser feet height adjustment (in particular the conditions such as needle position and position of h for doing this adjustment)?

Many thanks in advance :notworthy:

Edited by Kawakneurder

Okay, after doing a bit more reading, and with some help from this excellent video from MTRC Crane on youtube, I have figured out what to do I think (The video is about the Consew 206RB, but all the adjustments are very similar). If anyone with more expertise realizes this is incorrect, please do correct me.

Setting presser foot height:

What I think is the procedure (what I have done) is the following:

1. Release spring P (fig 9)
  2. Loosen clamp w by loosening the two screws
  3. Put a 7.5mm height object under the presser foot
  4. Press the foot down onto the object, and tighten screws of w again
  5. Re-seat spring P (fig 9)

This is basically correct afaik

• Firstly, step 3 does not detail under which of the two presser feet you have to put the reference block. Should it be put under the inner, or the outer block?
  • Also, doesn't the position of h (fig 10) and the position of the needle matter for this adjustment? If it does matter, what position of the needle, and what position of h should I use (I assumed for h all the way up, as that is the biggest step height).

This adjustment seems to be just for the lifter on the back (or knee lifter). So you should put the block under the outer presser foot. This also means that the position of h, and the position of the needle do not matter.

Synchronizing presser feet height

1. Set h all the way up in track H (i.e. largest step height possible)
  2. Observe which of the two feet (inner or outer) makes the taller step
  3. Rotate the hand wheel forward until the 'tallest' foot is just above the plate
  4. Loosen 'p' in fig 9
  5. Press down the foot, and tighten p again
  6. Repeat step 2 to 5 until the feet have the same stepping height

This is mostly correct it seems, except for step 1. Apparently you are not supposed to put h all the way up on the track, and indeed if I put it about halfway, I already have a lift of about 7mm.

If you do this, the machine doesn't bind up, and does walk.

If I adjust the machine like this it does run, and when I turn the hand-wheel it does feel like a smooth motion. However, I can't give it a 'spin' with the motor attached, and have it keep running because of inertia. It does immediately stop. Is this normal for walking feet machines? Or should it be spinning freely for 1 or 2 stitches?