Sign in to follow this  
Alan Bell

saddle no. 3

Ok here's saddle no. 3 (I'm pretty slow but I'm on a roll and saddle no 4 won't be far behind!) I've got a bit of braiding to do after I get no 4 out the door and I'm going to try and be pretty consistent about getting things made. That durned ol' day job messes things up! Any critique is welcomed. I'm still trying to get my hands to do what my brain sees and I'll take any help I can get!!

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

If you're tumbling down from above, help the weak if you are strong!
Bob Marley - No More Trouble

Roeliff__s_saddle_and_reata_1.JPG Roeliff_saddle_and_hobble_holder_1.JPG

post-1670-1191901693_thumb.jpg

post-1670-1191902101_thumb.jpg

Alan,

The seat contour and the overall look is good. I really like the braidwork on the horn. The braidwork sets it off well. I can hardly keep rawhide bindings on some of them out here, braidwork would be a full-time job. Diamond plate on the flat beds and tule fog in the winter eats rawhide bindings.

A couple suggestions, just little things. The carving is a different pattern from side to side. Also on the right side it goes right to the edge of the fender. I would keep it back a bit to make a "margin". I have not heard of any of the AS hardware breaking, but I am not that impressed with it just handling it. Borks or other suppliers might be a better choice. I haven't got the chance to handle any of Jeremiah Watt's new hardware, but it looks alright in the pictures. For the cost of the AS conchos, you can buy pretty good plated conchos from Hansens that have some nice engraving. Their plating seems to be a bit more lasting than the average too. The overlays are a little pricier, but not astronomical. I usually spar varnish the monels if I am not lining them. If I line them I varnish the exposed edges. Just sets them off a little. The only other little thing I see is some slack in the rope strap buckle. It looks open enough that the buckle could slide down if the strap was unbuckled. I am not a huge fan of rapid rivets on saddles, but this is one place a small one right at the base of the buckle heelbar could hold it up tight, or tie it in place like some the harness makers tie in buckles. About all I see, nice job!

Alan,

Saddle Number 3 looks great. I agree with Bruce on the tooling, leave yourself some room along the edge. There are very few if any times when the tooling is run close to the edge. Your overall lines of saddle and the way the pieces flow together is good, the finished saddle looks clean and square. I really like the braiding on the horn, it that rawhide?

Bruce and Don, THANKS!!! for such helpful critiques. Like an idiot I did not use one fender to model the other and later realized I had changed things. Actually I did try to 'flip' the pattern and then I still messed it up a bit and added a petal. Tooling seems to be something that is as challenging to me as braiding seems to others. Yes it is rawhide on the horn I just dyed it burgundy. I think it takes 30' of string to cover the horn like that. As for the rope strap, I made the saddle for a friend (he is featured in this months 'Western Horseman' on pps. 62 - 63) Roeliff Annon and I can fix the buckle next time I see him. I will look into using better hardware for the next group of 3. I greatly appreciate the critiques and will make use of all suggestions on the next set!

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Five days to go....workin' for the next day. Four days to go....workin' for the next day. (u get the pic)
Bob Marley - Work

Hey, is that Texas sand I see in the background? Good job on that saddle. For number 3, it's great! And, I really like that rawhide hobble hanger. How much you charge for 'em? Maybe I'll just buy 'em from you instead of making my own. I suck at it.

One thing on your saddle I noticed. The lines will look a bit nicer if you shorten your jockies a couple inches at the lacing. Show more skirt at the top. It might be on this one, the skirt is short too. So, a little less jock, a bit more skirt showing behind.

Thanks Go2TX I will definitely pay closer attention to all these things on saddle no. 4 I'm working on it now so hopefully it won't be too long before I can post pics of it and we can all compare and see if I paid any attention at all in class! I still have a couple of trips down the road in that Peterbilt in the background but I will try and get as much of the saddle done as I can before leaving.

And, where the heck is Floresville ?!? Think carefully before answering as I travel.... A LOT and I am not afraid to show up on a persons doorstep begging for crumbs of wisdom!!

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

If it's all night, it's got to be alright; workin' on the night shift on a fork lift
Bob Marley - Night Shift

That looks great. I really like the braiding around the horn, a nice touch. Did you braid the reata as well?