olandrea

leather care

I got this info from Baker

"J. & F.J Baker & Co. Ltd’s leathers are Oak Bark tanned for strength and durability. When they require cleaning or ‘feeding’ we recommend wiping with a damp cloth, applying saddle soap and buffing with a cloth or soft brush, before leaving to dry naturally. Please do not use oil based leather feeds as these displace the greases in the leather and cause the fibres to dry out and degrade. 

When you receive your leather it will likely have a whiteish residue of dubbin on the grain side. This can be removed with a soft bristled brush such as used to shine shoes. "

What would be non oil based leather care? All I found have at least some oil in it.

Thanks

Having never used their leather myself not really going to recommend anything myself mainly use Sedgwick bridle leather and yes i condition any finished work before it goes out.

The answer could lie here.

3 hours ago, olandrea said:

When you receive your leather it will likely have a whiteish residue of dubbin on the grain side.

Looks like they have already treated with dubbin before they send it out. Here is a link you maybe interested in scroll down looks like they are recommending a conditioner at the bottom of the page.

https://www.handmadeleatherbelts.co.uk/belts/

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

I also use normally Sedgwicks leather and their leather care, now for the first time I use Baker. Baker them self don't recommend any brand of leather care.

The lather conditioner in your link has jojobaoil as ingredient. To be honest, I think there is no leather care with out some sort of oil in it.

Edited by olandrea