Sign in to follow this  
karl

Embossed fish in progress

Hi Fellas,

It's been a while since I've posted anything on here cause have been off work with a little trouble with the old "ticker" and Rhuematoid Arthritis to so, haven't had time or felt like doing much of anything lately.

Here are a few pictures of an embossed bass I did and just finished.

Karl

embossed_fish_1.JPG

embossed_fish_2.JPG

embossed_fish_3.JPG

finished_fish_2.JPG

finished_fish_1.JPG

post-110-1231726765_thumb.jpg

post-110-1231726840_thumb.jpg

post-110-1231726915_thumb.jpg

post-110-1231727043_thumb.jpg

post-110-1231727598_thumb.jpg

Good to see you back in the grove!

Now that's ART!

Good to see you back in the grove!

Now that's ART!

Thanks a lot Greybeard, I think it looks like the ole boy caught the bass just about the time the evening sun is setting and reflecting on the water. Oh, by the way, thats a real fishing lure and lline in the mouth of the bass.

Karl

Thanks a lot Greybeard, I think it looks like the ole boy caught the bass just about the time the evening sun is setting and reflecting on the water. Oh, by the way, thats a real fishing lure and lline in the mouth of the bass.

Karl

a question ,ive been playing at embossing haven't really read or saw a video,anyhoo as a filler how about wood putty n sawdust 50\50 just experimenting with stuff but i'm likin this emboss'n stuff eh pete

a question ,ive been playing at embossing haven't really read or saw a video,anyhoo as a filler how about wood putty n sawdust 50\50 just experimenting with stuff but i'm likin this emboss'n stuff eh pete

Hennessy, I don't know how wood putty and sawdust woiuld work, I've never tried it or heard of anyone trying to use it either. It has to harden up but has to be plyable enough to do tooling on the fish, deer, horse or whatever you are doing, and also when you cut around parts of the figure and raise it you have to use the leather putty which is the same color and texture as the rest and moldable when you fill in an area and can also add some detail to it with a exacto knife or special stamping tool for feather or scale texture and have it hold the pattern.

The only thing I could say is, what have you got to lose and start out on a small project and not on something large enough that you've ruined a sizable piece of leather, and if it works let us know.

Tihe lighting on the fish photo was lousy and no flash and the picture looks just like the evening sun setting with the dark shades from a somewhat cloudy and stormy type clouds but the color photo didn't turn out that good but the natural colored leather photo's I took of it before painting look fine. Go figure. I guess it is the gloss of the acrylic paints after antiquing the background doesn't show like it does in person. Oh well, It looks great on the wall and the detail in the bass and scales are just right. Karl

Edited by karl

Actually you can use sawdust. The wood putty I'm not sure about. But mix the sawdust with rubber cement to the consistency of wood putty or peanut butter and you're good to go.

Actually you can use sawdust. The wood putty I'm not sure about. But mix the sawdust with rubber cement to the consistency of wood putty or peanut butter and you're good to go.

Rawhide, Thanks for the information, I think I'll try it out on a small project and see if it like the results. Karl

Won't sawdust harden up quite a bit when set up? I planned on using sawdust on a project and was told that it would get really hard after setting up, and wouldn't tool very well after that. So, I used shoe sole grindings from my local shoe repair shop instead, as I didn't have any leather dust, and needed something on rather short notice. The only things I didn't like about the shoe grindings was that it wouldn't take dye or acrylic paints well, and it remained spongy for longer than the leather dust does. One big advantage; it's free!! and available anytime the shop's open. Same goes for sawdust, if it will work.

I was told a story about a fellow in the old Tandy store in town making his own sawdust for filler. Seems one of the guys walked into the store and here was the fellow using an electric pencil sharpener to grind up 1/4" dowel rods. Apparently, he had already done several dowels this way by the time anyone bothered asking him what he was doing. When asked what he was doing, he replied that he was making his embossing filler. No one bothered to ask him why he didn't just go to the lumberyard and get some from their sawdust catcher bins. I wouldn't have believed this story, but I was told it by two separate people on different occasions. I guess it takes all kinds!!!!

Hi Fellas,

It's been a while since I've posted anything on here cause have been off work with a little trouble with the old "ticker" and Rhuematoid Arthritis to so, haven't had time or felt like doing much of anything lately.

Here are a few pictures of an embossed bass I did and just finished.

Karl

embossed_fish_1.JPG

embossed_fish_2.JPG

embossed_fish_3.JPG

finished_fish_2.JPG

finished_fish_1.JPG

Real nice job on the fish!! I like the scales! And, the lure adds just the right touch. I know what you mean about the camera problems. I have problems getting good pics with mine quite often as well. Hope you get to feeling better soon!!!