Sign in to follow this  
TomE

basil - radoul tanned leather

In the book "To Handmake a Saddle"  JHL Shields mentions covering the springs of the tree with "basil," which according to Wikipedia is radoul tanned leather.  Does anyone know if this leather is still available or what a modern equivalent (weight? tannage?) would be?  He is describing the build of an English saddle.  

5 minutes ago, jcuk said:

This may be of some use. 

https://www.abbeyengland.com/basil-hide-nappa-e1k1

Hope this helps 

JCUK

Yes, thanks so much @jcuk.  I’m also making good progress on sewing fixed loops in the 3/8 in straps - using your tips, and I bought some smaller tacks to assemble the work before sewing. Got distracted by the endless variations of nose bands, and learning to skive to make swelled nose bands. Should have my first bridle finished soon. 

I have a copy of the said book. What are you using to skive.

2 hours ago, jcuk said:

I have a copy of the said book. What are you using to skive.

I just received the book from a seller in the U.K.  I’m enjoying the learning. Maybe I’ll be able to do a repair someday. For skiving, I’m using an Osborn #67 knife with a rounded blade. I also like using a round knife but mine is big and the points get in the way of holding on to the strap. Guess I need a half round knife. 

30 minutes ago, TomE said:

I just received the book from a seller in the U.K.  I’m enjoying the learning. Maybe I’ll be able to do a repair someday. For skiving, I’m using an Osborn #67 knife with a rounded blade. I also like using a round knife but mine is big and the points get in the way of holding on to the strap. Guess I need a half round knife. 

Have look at this how he is using a Number 6 Edger then a Skirt Shave (French Edger) i know its a belt but this method can be used for anything raised.

https://www.youtube.com/c/UKSaddlerytrainingcoursesuk/videos

Hope this helps

JCUK