Sign in to follow this  
Mike Phelps

nice, sturdy, swivel, seat stool

Have a nice, sturdy, swivel, seat stool. A knock off of the ones pricey ones you see a Auto Parts stores. I is actually a really fine stool, heavy duty ball bearing swivel mechanism, some kind of pressed, black, fiberboard[like masonite] three quarters of an inch thick, heavy duty chrome plated steel tubing legs and foot rail. The only draw back was that 3inches of cheap foam rubber for a seat pad and the thin plastic covering which blew out in less than a year. It had always been simmering in the back of mind to do something different with the seat but kept putting it off. Finally there was no putting it off any longer. It blew out so bad the foam rubber wouldn't stay. The idea of a leatherworker putting duct tape on it until he could "getuit" just didn't set well. Like the auto mechanic who starts is car with a screwdriver and has vice grips for door handles cause he just can't make time to "getuit" It was time "to get her done!"

The original vision was to use the original foam and do a mitered seam using saddle skirting. But then I thought about all the air being forced out the foam every time I sat down working its way through the seam and bottom, the death of the OE seat. So after too little thought I came up with making the side and top of saddle skirting, using up a bunch of that fake shearling I've got and lacing it on with wide lace like those fancy chopper seats. I'd already cut some wide lacing, but didn't have any needles to fit it, an oversight on my part, the last lacing needles I bought were the small Arrow Brand with the eye and one prong, wholly unacceptable for 1/4in lacing.

Finally I cam up with what is revealed in the pictures. I cut the side piece one and half inches shorter than the circumference of the base and laced it together, soaked it water and stretched it over and around the base, after I cut the lacing slits of course. Put upholstery tacks in it to make sure it stays in place, they will have to be replace with saddle screws because those tacks are going to back out of that fiberboard. Cut the seat top one half inch less diameter than the base and punched the same number of slits in it as the side piece has. Glued a bunch of scrap pieces of that fake shearling to the base and dug out a bag of trimmings of genuine shearling from trimming back the edges of guitar straps I make. Cut and beveled about 80 feet or so of 1/8 lace from lightweight veg-tan and set to work doing an eight string round braid.

If I EVER do any thing like this again I'm going to punch round holes in that thick stuff and definitely use much wider lace, making sure I've got the needles to fit the lace.

Seat_Stool_WIP.jpg

Seat_Stool_WIP2.jpg

Seat_StoolWIP1.jpg

post-51-1192670732_thumb.jpg

post-51-1192670758_thumb.jpg

post-51-1192670779_thumb.jpg

That looks real good Mike, great job and thanks for sharing the pics. As to the round holes, I always use round holes, they have a whole lot more strength to them than the slotted ones, and are way less likely to rip or tear.

Ken

Thanks Ken,

I'll be glad when I get it done cause standing at the bench ain't much fun.

Surfed by your site a few days back. That is some nice looking gear you guys turn out. The prices you get for them is outstanding. I've learned the hard way to not try and compete with the mega stores and their machine made/import goods. A person who paid $80 dollars for one of my early guitar straps would just have likely paid twice that or more, which he'll have to do cause I ain't giving them away at that price any more.

Thanks Ken,

I'll be glad when I get it done cause standing at the bench ain't much fun.

Surfed by your site a few days back. That is some nice looking gear you guys turn out. The prices you get for them is outstanding. I've learned the hard way to not try and compete with the mega stores and their machine made/import goods. A person who paid $80 dollars for one of my early guitar straps would just have likely paid twice that or more, which he'll have to do cause I ain't giving them away at that price any more.

that looks great, can you tell me is there any online infoon how to do lacing like that, i love itYou_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Great looking setup you got there. Seats turning out looking real good.

Next one I would just as a friendly suggestion think about trying out some good neoprene. You can cut it and shape it to a nice shape and it works wonders when your sitting on it for extended periods of time. I made one for my bench stool which is just wood, I put the neoprene covered in some good thick chrome tan stuff and it works out really well, I can sit there for hours and the ol butt dont get sore.

Tattos pick up the boot "encyclopedia of rawhide and leather braiding", think you can get it for about $20 on amazon and its well worth the money. Tons of different braids in there.

Great looking setup you got there. Seats turning out looking real good.

Next one I would just as a friendly suggestion think about trying out some good neoprene. You can cut it and shape it to a nice shape and it works wonders when your sitting on it for extended periods of time. I made one for my bench stool which is just wood, I put the neoprene covered in some good thick chrome tan stuff and it works out really well, I can sit there for hours and the ol butt dont get sore.

Tattos pick up the boot "encyclopedia of rawhide and leather braiding", think you can get it for about $20 on amazon and its well worth the money. Tons of different braids in there.

thanks ill get it for sure