Sign in to follow this  
fluidium

Bottle is a replica

Hello Forum,

Its time, that i post something in that Forum to show you some of my work;)

The shape of the Bottle is a replica, that was built like this around the 13th-16th century, by a discovery in London.

I do harden with Beewax.

It takes ca. 1,5l of Water wich stays pretty cool if the sun burns down on it- its the effect of diffuse like every fridge do that way.

For the lid i use a piece from a goats horn.

Be patient with my english, i dont use it steady!

IMG_2752.JPG

IMG_2749.JPG

IMG_2756.JPG

post-389-1192868790_thumb.jpg

post-389-1192868838_thumb.jpg

post-389-1192868948_thumb.jpg

Belated welcome fluidium, thats a real interesting shape you've got there. How did you make the spout shape? Was it preformed before you wrapped it around the end pieces?

Ken

for preforming i use a little teacandlelight holder wich is made of glas, so i can bend the edge for sewing

The spout shape, is the last step before i do harden with wax, i make it really wet and then push with gently power the goathorn piece inside.

Lets drying at night and next day its ready for the harden prcedure.

Hope you understand what i mean?!

getting it load and clear, do you use beeswax? or some other synthetic wax

I dont know if that work with synthetic wax too? I guess it will be, but the taste must then really worse!

No, for my work i use only beewax!

What I've always wanted to know is what does the water taste like after it's been inside????

I used one of his bottles several times and the water tastes good. The beeswax don't give a bad taste to the water.

I am not sure if the water stays the same with synthetic wax.

Gesa

I'm really interested in how to seal the inside of leather bottles and mugs. Does the wax do well in summer heat (90 to 100 degrees F)?

I've experimented with epoxy resin with mixed results. The manufacturer rep for the stuff I used said even though it is not certified as food grade it is safe. Leaves a lingering question if you want to sell the bottles, though. Epoxy seals the bottle well and will tolerate alcohol, but it leaves the bottle rock hard and turns it very dark. It was fine for one of my bottles, but ruined the lighter design on another one.

Your bottle has a very pleasing shape - I like it very much. Good work!

Oops - sent the same message twice - can't seem to delete this so just disregard.

Edited by MikeG

I'm really interested in how to seal the inside of leather bottles and mugs. Does the wax do well in summer heat (90 to 100 degrees F)?

I've experimented with epoxy resin with mixed results. The manufacturer rep for the stuff I used said even though it is not certified as food grade it is safe. Leaves a lingering question if you want to sell the bottles, though. Epoxy seals the bottle well and will tolerate alcohol, but it leaves the bottle rock hard and turns it very dark. It was fine for one of my bottles, but ruined the lighter design on another one.

Your bottle has a very pleasing shape - I like it very much. Good work!

Mike, beeswax holds up pretty well under normal environmental heat, but if you leave one of these wax sealed and hardened vessels in your car in summer it will melt down on you.

I've spent a good bit of time chasing down options, because I was also not satisfied with the epoxy choices I've been able to find. I have heard through multiple reports that at least one of the makers of an epoxy that's rated for food prep areas has explicitly declined, more than once, to confirm that their product is safe for the drinking vessel application. That won't fly for me, so I don't use that product.

I've heard of a medical grade epoxy being used, talked to a fellow in Arizona about his bottels and he said he used a medical grade epoxy - very expensive. I've never managed to track it down, and, not surprisingly, he wasn't giving me the name.

The design Fluidium posted is called a kestrel. I've no idea why they named a barrel shaped jug after a small hawk, but there it is....