chriscraft

Vintage Bicycle Tank

After hours of searching and coming up empty. I decided to make my own bicycle Leather Tank using wet formed 8-9oz HO. This one i'm currently building is for a customer. So It starts out as a hardwood maple form as I'm also using it to do my tooling on. This right side will get a drop down door for storage.

post-38453-0-39741300-1374279532_thumb.j

The customer chose the name that is tooled on this leather tank. I just used my freehand style script lettering that I've developed over the years to make it even more unique. I made a built in leather hinge using a round metal rod and after some time sanding and burnishing, it now swings open nicely.

post-38453-0-25632800-1374279918_thumb.j

post-38453-0-16621200-1374279922_thumb.j

The other side (left) will not get a hinged drop down door. The tops of these both sides will have three leather straps that will buckle shut. When stitched once around the edge, everything will be sewn in place like the buckle straps and bottom door side hinge. I'll be using bonded 346 size thread with a 26 needle at 5 stitches per inch.

post-38453-0-68621700-1374280630_thumb.j

post-38453-0-04105700-1374280949_thumb.j

Edited by chriscraft

This is where I ended up today. I used a Chestnut Tan highlight dye and after everything was dry I feathered the edges with pro oil dye. First I used a diluted Light Brown with a gravity fed Iwata airbrush. Then I hit the outer edges with Dark Brown as I want the light colored thread to stand out. I was in a hurry and didn't get to dye the straps and some other items. Will have to finish it off another day. I'm still new to this leatherwork but I'm satisfied with my results so far. Every time I work on a new project I feel I get better. Chris

post-38453-0-94814500-1374281472_thumb.j

Nice looking project, coloring and tooling. I have never seen a tank like that before. Excellent work

David

Thanks David. When I started leatherwork early this year my Father Inlaw challenged me to build something new. Something that has not been done before. Thats when I came up with this. I already had a vintage 1938 bicycle frame that was already missing the steel tank so why not make one from leather. I have a feeling it's been done before but my search came up empty. I can't be the only crazy person with a leather sewing machine that has done this. I'm sticking to only making it out of leather minus the hardware.

This tank will be displayed at one of the largest vintage bicycle shows in California called "Shiny Side Up" next weekend. It's going on a custom built 1941 Schwinn DX Bicycle.

very sweat work.

Thanks Madhatterxlch. I was going to try and market these tanks but due to the many hours involved in creating each one. I decided to not push this kind of work and focus on my vintage bicycle and motorized board track racer saddles. I'll be making a few of these leather tanks per year as a way to advertise my seats while at vintage bicycle shows. Chris

post-38453-0-09785000-1374438554_thumb.j

Just finished it today. It came out sweat!!! but not perfect. I think the hinged drop down door is the best feature.

post-38453-0-36308500-1374529850_thumb.j

post-38453-0-75528100-1374529853_thumb.j

I don't have the bicycle so I'll have to upload picks after the customer installs it. I don't like to play by the rules and start with easy projects. These bicycle tanks are my first three dimensional leather case construction. Didn't have any directions so I just made it up as I went. This last case is better came out better than my first two as I kept improving this design. I thinks it's a winner. Chris

post-38453-0-67044900-1374530431_thumb.j

post-38453-0-15061100-1374530436_thumb.j

Edited by chriscraft