CoreyChiev

Veg Tan Purse Straps

Hey all! Been a lurker on the forum for quite a while, figured I'd finally ask a question.

I'm working on a small purse made from veg tan leather, all hand tooled goodness. Normally I make it into a belt bag, but I had a friend ask me to convert it into a purse with straps.

I've never made purse straps before. (I can cut leather into straps, but that's not really my question for today.)

Is it normal to make them out of veg tan and leave the back side unfinished? Or should I be stitching 2 lightweight straps of veg tan together? (I'm not a huuuuge fan of hand stitching straps together, but if I have to, I will.)

Or, option 3, should I be using an entirely different type of leather for the straps?

Any tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Corey

Hi Corey and welcome to the forum!

Personally I try to avoid having the flesh side of veg tan leather exposed in my projects. That being said, in your situation I probably would make the strap out of a unlined piece. I don't have a sewing machine and my hand sewing isn't what I would call adequate, and I've had luck with treating the flesh side with leather balm with atom wax and getting a smooth surface. That will still wear off over time and the flesh side could get fuzzy over time. If I was more confident in my hand sewing I probably would line the strap and carve or stamp something showy onto it. And if I had a sewing machine, I would definitely line it. I think it just looks more professional.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Bob

Hi Bob!

Thanks for replying so quick! So I should probably not leave the back unfinished eh? I was leaning in that direction too. What type of liner is good? It looks like I've got some hand stitching in my future. My stitching is OK, its just so darn time consuming. I'd rather be hammering away...

Corey

I'm with you on the time for stitching but that's quicker than lacing, which would be my other option....

If it were me I would line it with another piece of veg tan and put the grain side out on each, like you would on a high end belt. It even gives you the chance to carve or otherwise decorate both sides of the strap if you prefer, but the strap leather probably needs to be fairly thin so the strap doesn't end up weighing more than the purse.

You could also use something like a suede or some other garment type leather but you would have problems burnishing that edge if it was a chrome tan leather.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with not using the flesh side.

Go to any large store that sells leather purses, . . . even high end, . . . EXPENSIVE, . . . purses have the flesh side revealed on many of their straps.

If it is properly sealed and dressed, . . . and you start out with a top grade piece of leather, . . . it will be a plus for the strap.

Flesh to flesh veg tan straps are very slick, . . . tend to slide around on shoulders, etc, . . . flesh side has a little purchase power and will be less apt to slide off.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight, you are so right! I was just thinking how darn slippery my purse strap was the other day. (its stitched flesh to flesh side) It tries to slip off my shoulder every time I wear my winter coat. I'm going to have to check out some of these higher end purse stores and see what they do.

What would you recommend for a sealer on the flesh side? I've got Tan Kote and Super Sheen at home. I've noticed that Tan Kote seems to seal the fibers down fairly well, but I'm not sure if that is what I should use it for.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Corey

Don't laugh, . . . but I have what would easily pass for a shoulder purse, . . . that I made especially for blackpowder hunting. It holds all the "stuff" needed to keep old Betsy ready out there in the field.

That (and the fact that my wife has a shoulder bag she has had since about 1972) both convinced me.

Mine has a very light coat of Resolene (cut 50/50 with water), . . . my wife's purse seems to be oiled only. Both work very well.

Sealing the fibers down is a moot point, really, if you start out with a really good piece of leather for the strap. Those fibers will be down, . . . and will stay down.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight, I defer to your experience. I've only made two purse straps both unlined, and they do seem to be holding up but they were smooth leather. Neither was sealed on the flesh side, though I was once advised by a saddle maker to use leather balm on the flesh side to protect it and smooth it down.

Would you make the same recommendation for a belt? The only ones I've made are unlined as well and I've got one coming up and I wondered if I should try to treat the flesh side. My personal belt (10+ years old) is holding up OK.

Bob, . . . I only use Resolene on my belts, . . . unless it is an "old" looking one, . . . which gets beeswax/neetsfoot oil compound.

I like Resolene, as it is one tough finish. And, yes, . . . I use it on the whole belt, . . . both sides, edges, . . . the whole thing.

The flesh side still maintains a bit of a rough texture which is important for some of the things I do.

May God bless,

Dwight