I was wondering how many of you have fabricated new or altered existing tools to fit your needs. I have made a few jigs but I am always looking for inspiration as I am sure we all are.

:grouphug5vj5:

I will post some pics of my stuff when I find my camera.

I know that this post is probably worthless without pics, But I still don't have a suitable camera.

I have made a few different petal lifters out of screwdrivers, a few different stamps, pear shaders, etc.

I have also made a folder/ burnisher out of hardwood to work specifically with a pattern that I make regularly.

There used to be a few threads around about homemade tools, I think it is a great topic and always look forward to seeing what other folks come up with.

John

I just made a smaller burnisher for my Dremel! I got a 1/2"long, 3/8 wide nylon spacer for 25 cents. I hammered a cutting blade mandrel into the hole then used a needle file to shape the groove.

Burnisher.jpg

Sorry for the cell phone quality.

It is great for getting into tight spaces! And I can still use it as a mandrel!

post-6453-1215571763_thumb.jpg

Edited by HandyAndy

Was messing about with my camera and thought I'd take a picture of my home made creasers.

The first one is my most used, made from 11mm (7/16") mild steel from a old rusted out gate. It creases a line about 3mm from the edge. All file work so very easy to make.

Edge_creaser.JPG edge_creaser2.JPG

The second i use for any free hand creasing or if I need to use heat for my creases. Again made from an old gate.

Creasing_iron.JPG creasing_iron2.JPG

post-5814-1218446631_thumb.jpg

post-5814-1218446646_thumb.jpg

post-5814-1218446656_thumb.jpg

post-5814-1218446667_thumb.jpg

I haven't made any tools, but I sure modify the heck out of them. If it doesn't work the way I want it to, I file it, bend it, polish it, cut it, etc... 'til it does what I want it to, how I want it to.

Marlon

This is a punching setup I built for my drill press.The table is made from aluminum and covered with UHMW a very slick plastic. I used boards with notches(for the belt loops) to punch on and the plastic allows for easy movement. I punch using various size drill bits with sharpened shanks and the drill press running.

sheathjig1.jpg

I modified this arbor press for putting my makers mark on my knives and sheaths. I just milled a slot in the ram and tapped a couple of holes for set screws.

Stamper.jpg

My mentor and friend Sandy Morrissey made this stamp for me while showing me his technique for tooling faux snakeskin inlays.

snakeskinstamp.jpg

This is a sheath done using this stamp and technique

FauxPhil1.jpg

Hope you like everything.Dave

My mentor and friend Sandy Morrissey made this stamp for me while showing me his technique for tooling faux snakeskin inlays.

<snip>

Hope you like everything.Dave

Can you show a close-up of the impression from that stamp? Or a higher res image for the sheath? It looks really good...

--charley

Charley, looked to see if I had anything closer.Try this, a little better to see.Dave

snakeskincover.jpg

Wow! I'm totally making one of those snake scale stamps!

[

Dave, was the snakeskin stamp made from scratch or modified from another stamp? Awesome effect!

Sandy made this from scratch as he does many of his stamps.He uses long stainless hex head bolts 1/4"-5/16" with at least a 4" shank.Shape with files and sanders.Dave

Not a good pic just a scan, but it shows some of Sandy's carving and tooling skills in a sheath he gifted me.

DaveandSandy.jpg

I just made a smaller burnisher for my Dremel! I got a 1/2"long, 3/8 wide nylon spacer for 25 cents. I hammered a cutting blade mandrel into the hole then used a needle file to shape the groove.

Burnisher.jpg

Sorry for the cell phone quality.

It is great for getting into tight spaces! And I can still use it as a mandrel!

wow great tool, thanks for your post and the picture!

Edited by Rolf

I used a plastic edge slicker from Tandy and inserted one of the rubber spreader attachments for the Dremel used for the sanding wheels, it fit perfect and works great.

Tom

I made this knife from deer. horn Just drilled a hole for the blade and then drilled and tapped holes on the side to hold the blade in place. Need some kind of finger rest on top. I used it on this holster and it worked fine.

Tom

IMG_0002__4_.JPG

post-6291-1219342593_thumb.jpg