Sign in to follow this  
steve hansl

What Happened To Barge Cement?

After using Barge cement for almost the last 20yrs,especially the last gallon,I found it wasn't sticking like it use to.So I tried a gallon of toluene free Renia Super Fix,it has good initial bonding strength and spreads real nice.I have noticed a big difference after alot of gluing,I think due to the lack of toluene.I just got another gallon so it looks like I have switched.Has anyone else noticed a difference?

From what I remember barge changed there recipe a little while back. There was alot of discussion about it here on the forums. Several of us myself included have been using weld wood cement. It works really well atleast for me and I can get it at the hardware store which is a plus.

From what I remember barge changed there recipe a little while back. There was alot of discussion about it here on the forums. Several of us myself included have been using weld wood cement. It works really well atleast for me and I can get it at the hardware store which is a plus.

Max,

Does the weld wood remain pliable after it has dried, and what kind of job does it do on awls? I have read that it bonds extremely well, but Super Glue does also, but it sure isn't pliable. I have been using Tandy Contact Cement and it seems to work well, and I've also read Masters is really good. Always looking for something better.

Thanks,

Terry

I've tried the weld wood and i guess it's all right in warm weather or a warm shop. But for me in cold weather and not so warm shop it took forever to dry to tacky. I'm going to try it again when it warms up.

It does stay pliable and I have not had any issues with my awls. It does take longer to dry at colder temps so I just have my heater nearby when I am glueing stuff. Ofcourse I dont have much to compare it to. I had tried the tandy stuff and was not impressed. The old barge worked well. I have heard that masters is pretty good as well. I am to tired right now but if you try searching up a couple of the old threads about this stuff a few people did some pretty good research into the area.

used Barges in the beginning, but have switched to masters. spreads much nicer and think it dries a bit faster too. very pliable and sticks very well also. as it gets closer to the bottom i just throw some thinner in it and can dilute it pretty thin and it still sticks like a dream.

Tony