fatbob1945

Stamps Not Transferring To Leather

Having problems getting large(1 X1)stamp impressions. I have cased the leather normally by wetting and sealing it in a ziplock bag overnight and also literally soaked it in a bucket of water for several hours before attempting to stamp emboss it using a big hammer and the finer lines and detail of the stamp is not being transferred. I am using Tandy craftool stamps and key fob blanks I purchased from them. It acts as if the leather is too hard. Anyone got any advice---it will be much appreciated.

thanks

fatbob

Sounds like it's too wet or/and your stamping surface is not hard and solid.

Edited by Tree Reaper

I have tried it completely dry,then just wet with a sponge,then wet with a sponge put in a ziplock along with a damp sponge overnight,and finally submersed in a bucket of water for a couple of hours and none have worked. thanks

If you don't have a piece of marble and you have a cement floor in your garage use that. I prefer properly casing but just wipe the leather good with a sopping wet sponge wait a few minute for the color to staart to retun to almost normal. Then try stamping on marble, cement floor what ever you have that will not give you bounce. What are you striking your stamp with?

Give this a read, it's fairly recent ... http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=53674&hl=

I figured out the problem---I wasn't using the proper tool. Looked the stamps up in the catalog and read the fine print,which states that the proper way to use these particular stamps is to use a 4 pronged "ramshead tool" instead of just a regular handle---it spreads the impact out over the entire stamp instead of just the center when using the snap in handle. They are not expensive and Tandy has them in stock. Thanks to everyone for their replies and I hope maybe this will help someone else out also.