ArtS

Cutting Fringe With Shredder Scissors

Folks,

Has anyone ever tried using shredder scissors to cut fringe? I just got mine in the mail

this morning from Harbor Freight. They are made to shred credit cards so I thought

I'd give them a try. They were only $2.99. They make 5 cuts at once.

I quickly tried them on some thin chrome leather and suede and they did alright.

Attached is a picture. It worked well for short fringe. I'll see how it does if I try longer fringe.

They also have a revolving 12", 2 tray, bin. It's on sale for $9.99 even

though the web site still says $19.99. I have one of these already and they're great for

rivets, nails, etc.

Below are the links for the scissors and tray.

ArtS

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=96452

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=94050

How wide is the fringe? I thought these were a good idea so I bought a pair. I am sending mine back because by your picture I thought the fringe looked wide enough strips to actually use them on something. But they are WAY to skinny for anything I can think of to use them on. Or did you modify yours? If so how? Back to using the roller blade and a ruler.

I didn't modify them. As a matter of fact all I've cut with them since I bought them was that sample. It will be a good width for me on some of my items - not all though. It would be ok for chaps, trim on items such as pillows, gloves, vests and jackets. I still need to test and see how long I can cut them with these scissors and still look neat.

ArtS

How wide is the fringe? I thought these were a good idea so I bought a pair. I am sending mine back because by your picture I thought the fringe looked wide enough strips to actually use them on something. But they are WAY to skinny for anything I can think of to use them on. Or did you modify yours? If so how? Back to using the roller blade and a ruler.

Hey, that looks like a nice item. Even if the longer fringe cutting won't work out it sure could be handy for some stuff.

Gotta check out the Swedish and see if they exist here, probably not as usual, lol.

Thanks for sharing the tip!

Tom

I will measure the width of what size fringe they will cut. It is way smaller than what appears in the picture! When I showed them to others they also felt that the width of them is WAY too narrow for items such as chaps, or pillows of any size which is why I bought a pair. Unless you like your fringe to be just over yarn width. JMO

I just measured mine and they're just short of a 1/4" in width. Works for me for pillows but folks all do it different. I'm sorry it wasn't what you wanted. Wish it had been. Glad it was only a couple of bucks.

ArtS

I didn't modify them. As a matter of fact all I've cut with them since I bought them was that sample. It will be a good width for me on some of my items - not all though. It would be ok for chaps, trim on items such as pillows, gloves, vests and jackets. I still need to test and see how long I can cut them with these scissors and still look neat.

ArtS

I just measured mine and they're just short of a 1/4" in width. Works for me for pillows but folks all do it different. I'm sorry it wasn't what you wanted. Wish it had been. Glad it was only a couple of bucks.

ArtS

WOW, They must ship different sizes of them from different places!! I measured my two pair I bought and both cut them just shy of being an 1/8". You can see that the 1/8" wide fringe would be WAY small for things like Chaps. If mine were cutting at 1/4" I would have been thrilled! I thought your picture looked much wider than what mine cut! I will post a picture of mine when I get home tonight.

WOW, They must ship different sizes of them from different places!! I measured my two pair I bought and both cut them just shy of being an 1/8". You can see that the 1/8" wide fringe would be WAY small for things like Chaps. If mine were cutting at 1/4" I would have been thrilled! I thought your picture looked much wider than what mine cut! I will post a picture of mine when I get home tonight.

here is a picture of the width of it that my pair cut. as you can see not even close to a 1/4"fringe.jpg

post-55-1204921763_thumb.jpg

Art,

If the scissors won't cut longer lengths from the end/edge of the leather, could you double the leather before you make the cut? I know this will greatly depend on the weight of the leather, but for jackets, or any garment weight, it seems like a workable idea.

How do you take them apart to sharpen them once they are dull?

It looks like they are rivited together in the photo.

WINDY

They are made to stay all together. I could not see a way to sharpen them with out taking them to someone else. I had bought two pair just for that reason. I was very disappointed that the pairs I bought only cut fringe that was just at 1/8 " wide not a 1/4" as you can see in the picture I posted above. Keep in mind that the picture of them on harbor freight, if they were to cut a 1/4 " wide fringe then the scissors would be over 1 1/4" wide.

Art could you lay your fringe you cut on a ruler and post the picture so I can send it to Harbor freight when I return the pairs I bought and ask them to exchange them for ones that cut the 1/4" like you said yours cut? Also measure the width of the scissors.

I have chap & vest fringe to cut soon.