Sign in to follow this  
Billsotx

Upgraded to Office 2003

I did an update from Office 2000 to Office 2003; actually I uninstalled 2000 and then installed 2003. Maybe that was dumb. Talk about lost. I have always used Outlook Express and this change wiped out my address book. There are now addresses there that I deleted years and years ago. Since those appeared from where ever they were embedded I would think my more current ones are somewhere, but I don't know where to find them. I wondering if there's a way to recover them. The Outlook Express was left (is) embedded on my hard drive and not a part of O 2003. I've never used Outlook but did look around at the new version and there are old folders that I deleted years ago, but they are sans any files. Luckily a couple of important emails are still in OE so life is too bad.

If there's away to find those more current email addresses that were in OE I'd appreciate a heads-up. The advantages of gmail are screaming ... too late ... Oh, well!

When you installed Office 2003 it probably tried to make Outlook your default email client. Outlook Express is the built in email client for XP. (The names make things confusing, don't they?) You can change that in the Control Panel, Add/ Remove section, left side "change access and defaults".

Your WAB (Windows Adress Book) should be here:

C >Doc & Settings> User> Application Data> Microsoft> Address Book> UserName> WAB

You may need to open OE, click "file" and "import" it back to where it should be

Holler if you have more questions!

Johanna

:coffeecomp:

Thanks Johanna. I didn't find OE in that list of add/remove but it seems to be working now. The address book wasn't where it's supposed to me. From my Office 2000 Dummies book I figured out to look for a .csv extension and then figured it out ... way down in Program Files. I'll get me an Office 2003 Dummies book. This has been a 72 hr. ordeal to put it lightly ... lol ... one learns ... in my case stands in the rain ... lol

After a couple of weeks and a mental enema I'll try tackling FrontPage next.

nuff' fun for awhile ... gonna go beat up some leather ... again thanks