J Hayes

Lift The Spot Or Pull The Dot Snaps?

Which is better, Lift the Spot snaps or Pull the Dot snaps? Price is pretty close on both, just want opinions.

Thanks

Jeremy

I have no experience with "Lift the Dot" snaps, so I can't speak on those.... BUT I do use "Pull the Dot" snaps on all of my holsters. They are pretty great. Easy to set by hand and very durable.

I'd say you can't go wrong with "Pull the Dot" snaps!

Do you use the "hard action cap socket " or the standard one?

Do you use an 8/32 screw and t nut with yours?

Thanks

Jeremy

Edited by J Hayes

Do you use the "hard action cap socket " or the standard one?

Do you use an 8/32 screw and t nut with yours?

Thanks

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I'm not exactly sure what the "Hard Action" is but I use the directional sockets if that helps at all.

For screws and t-nuts, I go with 6/32 on both. The screws fit perfectly with the snaps.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy,

Lift the dot are the old military spring clip type used on holsters circa WWII-Vietnam. They are primarily designed for canvas, and ghod we used them on boat covers a lot, the screw studs were good on metal and wood and we had sockets for them and drill packages to install them. The Pull the Dot are currently the choice for holsters. Be careful shopping at marine stores, the stainless ones for boats (not the pull the dot type, just regular ligne 24s) are the dickens to get snapped and need a tool to get unsnapped.

Art

Which is better, Lift the Spot snaps or Pull the Dot snaps? Price is pretty close on both, just want opinions.

Thanks

Jeremy

Thanks for the warning on marine store stuff. I've actually been in contact with the manufacturer of both, YKK and Dot. I've priced the mil spec snaps from both. Bianchi use Lift the Spot and on the one holster I've made so far I used Pull the Dot from Springfield Leather. I plan on buying 100 and was curious if one had a better reputation than the other.

Jeremy

Pull-the-dots are the originals and are more widely available to folks in small batches. I've noticed that a lot of the major manufacturers use Lift-the-Dots, I assume because of pricing.

I've used Pull-the-Dots, ordered them both from Springfield and direct from Dot Fasteners.

You can sometimes get a better deal ordering from a reseller, rather than direct from the manufacturer. But most resellers don't stock the black ones.

tk

Lift the dot snaps run about $1 each and Pull the dots (durable Dots) run about .30 apiece both buy the 100s. The military very much likes lift the dots for some reason, hence they end-up on military holster designs. Lift the Dot snaps are more permanent in use on canvas and ballistic nylon fabric as they have substantial washers and backing plates, whereas the Durable Dot system has nothing much holding it to the fabric. Leather is a different story, especially if you have a hard stiffener to supplement the hold, so either system will work.

Art

Pull-the-dots are the originals and are more widely available to folks in small batches. I've noticed that a lot of the major manufacturers use Lift-the-Dots, I assume because of pricing.

I've used Pull-the-Dots, ordered them both from Springfield and direct from Dot Fasteners.

You can sometimes get a better deal ordering from a reseller, rather than direct from the manufacturer. But most resellers don't stock the black ones.

tk

I can't find Pull-the-Dots for anything like that price.

When I last ordered them from Scovil, I paid $12.80 for 100 studs, 22.30 for 100 sockets, and 31.75 for 100 caps -- but they were the black caps, and they are more expensive. That's more like $66 per 100. And you still need the tee-nuts to mount them.

tk

Lift the dot snaps run about $1 each and Pull the dots (durable Dots) run about .30 apiece both buy the 100s. The military very much likes lift the dots for some reason, hence they end-up on military holster designs. Lift the Dot snaps are more permanent in use on canvas and ballistic nylon fabric as they have substantial washers and backing plates, whereas the Durable Dot system has nothing much holding it to the fabric. Leather is a different story, especially if you have a hard stiffener to supplement the hold, so either system will work.

Art

Edited by malabar

BTW: In my first post, when I referred to "Lift-the-Dot" snaps, I was referring to YKK's directional snaps, and not the genuine Lift-the-Dot devices. My error, sorry for the confusion.

tk