yaklady

Celtic "C" Mermaid

This has got to be the most tedious thing I have ever carved! My hand is killing me. It's part of an alphabet, of which I have never seen the rest. This one is about four inches high. I had my magnifiers on the whole time, and used Paul's purple swivel knife to cut it. That blade is pretty nice. This is the start of an Irish whiskey glass case. I can't finish it until I get some aqua colored velvet pig suede for the inside. I hope they don't want many more of these. They said something about 40,000 cases . . .

Jan_09_043.jpg

Kathy

post-1462-1232854855_thumb.jpg

That is awesome ! The end product was worth it.

I do not mean to offend you, but I was laughing when you said it was 4" and you were wearing your magnifier all the time. I do a lot of miniature work and wish I had 4" to work with a lot of the time.

You pulled it off in grand style. 40,000 cases....???

Casey

Real nice job! That hair must have been a strain..yikes 4"! You might need a whole set of miniature fc tools made.

40,000? I hope you remember to outsource some of that work amongst your friends here...lol

Yaks, Celtic mermaids...what's next? Yetis?

This has got to be the most tedious thing I have ever carved! My hand is killing me. It's part of an alphabet, of which I have never seen the rest. This one is about four inches high. I had my magnifiers on the whole time, and used Paul's purple swivel knife to cut it. That blade is pretty nice. This is the start of an Irish whiskey glass case. I can't finish it until I get some aqua colored velvet pig suede for the inside. I hope they don't want many more of these. They said something about 40,000 cases . . .

Jan_09_043.jpg

Kathy

Oh, pretty! I love how you did the scales. What did you use inside the mulefoot?

Fab carving Yaklady:-)

The mermaid and the celtic carving is super, and I know how hard it can be, like to see the rest of the alphabet:-)

used Paul's purple swivel knife to cut it. That blade is pretty nice. Kathy

One post to answer the PMs- she is talking about our Pabloz, Paul Zalesak, leatherwranglers home of the SK-3 swivel knife.

Kathy- very nice! I hope you do the whole alphabet! Will a yak be featured on the Y? People have cases for their shotglasses? How cool is that? Is the mermaid's name Christina? Why is she swimming around a "C"? Sea! Oh, I see now. Yep, it's probably time for me to go to bed.

Johanna

You could also argue it was "C" for conch (the shell in her hand), but still I'd think it would be with "M" for Mermaid - LOL!

That's gorgeous work. Personally, I'd like to see the "H"...I'm always looking for good "H"s

Oh, pretty! I love how you did the scales. What did you use inside the mulefoot?

All that is in the mulesfoot is a pointy beveler with verticle lines, F910. It's called, "use what you have sitting around". It worked out okay.

You guys have a pretty good grip on what the C might stand for, but the truth is, the last name of the people who ordered it is Coffey. That's a pretty boring explanation next to all of yours. I wish the yak would be featured on the Y, but there aren't many yaks in Celtic stuff. A yak is shaped pretty much like a Y anyway. I could funish the yak, but someone else will have to draw that crazy braid that makes me dizzy!

Kathys_camera_06_07_050.jpg

See how the yak makes a nice Y without any help?

Johanna, this is what the inside of the case looks like, and the fancy glasses are in one of them. It's all nicely padded so you won't break the glasses after you've downed a few strong ones.

case_3.jpg case_4.jpg

I guess we could put some of those curls on the yak Y and I could get stronger magnifiers and new lenses in my glasses.

Casey, that's not offensive at all. George Gross works miracles with teeny tiny carvings, He would laugh at me for having one so BIG!

Kathy

post-1462-1232898323_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1232898338_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1232898557_thumb.jpg

:bawling: I was sooo sure that the "C" was for Crystal. And being a water sign, the mermaid was a perfect fit. Oh well. It still looks great even if it isn't for me. :)

Since you are doing 40,000 of them, maybe one with the right name can get slipped in that order somewhere. ;)

Crystal