opera13

Can You Tool Pre-Colored Leather?

Hi,

I'm brand-new to leatherworking. I've done just enough to order some leather offline, dampen it, and find out what a delightful medium it is (I get along well with most art forms.)

My question: I'd like to recreate a tooled leather belt I saw in a movie (which probably wasn't made of real leather, but anyway...). Awhile back I bought some leather strap already colored in the correct red color for the belt. When I was reading about leatherwork, I saw that coloring a piece usually follows tooling. Am I gonna end up with a mess if I try to dampen and work on this pre-dyed strap? Thanks.

I'm going to go out on a limb, . . . saying that you probably have garment leather in that strap, . . . not veggie tanned, . . . and the tooling will not come out the way you want it to.

Having said that, . . . if you have a Tandy store nearby, . . . you can go in there and ask them, . . . barring that, . . . just go for it. I've thrown away lots of these "experiments" that I had hoped better for, . . . but just every now and then, . . . one of them turns out really right, . . . and everything is so much better.

The dye should be color fast, . . . so you should not have a "mess". Probably though, . . . they dye is only on the surface, . . . and if you do any real heavy tooling, . . . you will have to re-dye some of it. For that reason, . . . do as much of the designas you can by stamping rather than tooling.

Have at it, . . . and have fun.

May God bless,

Dwight

I have yet to have a piece of pre colored leather take a good impression, probably due to the fact that the leather cannot be properly cased with a finish applied.

I have yet to have a piece of pre colored leather take a good impression, probably due to the fact that the leather cannot be properly cased with a finish applied.

likewise.............and i do like your AVATAR............ :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, with Memorial day this week I figured I would let Gov. Brewer have a much needed rest, and pop this one up. Have one for Canada too, so I may use that for Some Canuk holiday.

My question: I'd like to recreate a tooled leather belt I saw in a movie (which probably wasn't made of real leather, but anyway...). Awhile back I bought some leather strap already colored in the correct red color for the belt. When I was reading about leatherwork, I saw that coloring a piece usually follows tooling. Am I gonna end up with a mess if I try to dampen and work on this pre-dyed strap? Thanks.

I wonder if you did not buy a latigo strap - the leather is not toolable in the same way veg tan leather will take tooling.

Pre-dyed veg tan leather is usually toolable. Tandy carries a chestnut colored saddle skirting that makes beautiful crisp impressions. And so does their pre-dyed black sides and double shoulders. It just takes a bit longer to case the pre dyed veg tan.

Best is to take your strap to a Tandy and let them identify it for you.