Sign in to follow this  
morgans leather

Leather Lace

I just bought a big bag of leather lace from my local hardware store. It was only $5.00 so i got it because it would be gone soon there was only two bags.

only thing is what to do with leather lace . all the pieces witch is a lot are about 12 inches in length. I need some very simple ideas for a project for the lace.

i would like to keep the budget under $ 10 bucks for any extra materials to make something . so please give me some ideas anything would be helpful.

For that length, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be to get some split rings (for keys) and then braid the the lace onto the key ring and sell them as key rings.

Ken

post-6362-058155900 1342182811_thumb.jpg

For that length, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be to get some split rings (for keys) and then braid the the lace onto the key ring and sell them as key rings.

Ken

Ken, i've been visualizing something like that, I got 3 rolls of 5/16 kangaroo lace in a "lot" of stuff I bought awhile back. Do you have or know of a tutorial? (I've only ever braided my daughter some very crude pigtals haha)

Thanks,

Kevin

Ken, i've been visualizing something like that, I got 3 rolls of 5/16 kangaroo lace in a "lot" of stuff I bought awhile back. Do you have or know of a tutorial? (I've only ever braided my daughter some very crude pigtals haha)

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,

Sorry, I don't have a tutorial. I don't do braiding myself other than lacing purses, wallets, etc. There is a Braiding forum further down the forum list in Leatherworker.net, I would pose that question there, I'm sure there are lots of folks that frequent that forum that would be glad to point you in the right direction.

Good luck,

Ken

Do you have or know of a tutorial?

Try Kingsmere Crafts square braid There are loads of pages on this site for lacing and brainding ... and other leather realted stuff

CTG

I need some very simple ideas for a project for the lace.

i would like to keep the budget under $ 10 bucks for any extra materials to make something .

12 inches should be enough to wrap a barrette. wet form them into spirals and glue those to the front. Or make decorative pony tail holders. Add some beads and make bracelets?

Weave them to make trivets, place matts or pot holders? Buck stitch up one side of a picture frame made from Veg Tanned?

Thanks for the suggestions and yeah being that the length of the lace vary from 12 inches to smaller pieces you can only do so much . I am going to make some primitive bracelets with some wooden beads.

I did some research and found out i can make very simple wooden beads from tree limbs . Also you can use fruit tree branches as a fragrant wooden bead that when rubbed will give a fragrance of the fruit.

i have some pear and peach trees in the yard i will use those for the fragrance beads and some cedar and pine trees for the others or what ever else i find that has a good color in the wood . Only bad thing from my research is that the wood has to be seasoned or dried or the wood will crack if you make the bead before allowing it to dry. So this week i will be gathering wood and trying different things will add some pictures of the progress once i do.

Please look at www.shipwreckbeads.com before you spend bunches of time playing with wood . Bluesman1951

Thanks for the suggestions and yeah being that the length of the lace vary from 12 inches to smaller pieces you can only do so much . I am going to make some primitive bracelets with some wooden beads.

I did some research and found out i can make very simple wooden beads from tree limbs . Also you can use fruit tree branches as a fragrant wooden bead that when rubbed will give a fragrance of the fruit.

i have some pear and peach trees in the yard i will use those for the fragrance beads and some cedar and pine trees for the others or what ever else i find that has a good color in the wood . Only bad thing from my research is that the wood has to be seasoned or dried or the wood will crack if you make the bead before allowing it to dry. So this week i will be gathering wood and trying different things will add some pictures of the progress once i do.

post-31975-085404200 1343698221_thumb.jppost-31975-015196700 1343698208_thumb.jppost-31975-076843500 1343698192_thumb.jppost-31975-009685200 1343698162_thumb.jpThis is the look of the wooden beads i made from tree limbs that are in picture. All so what the beads look like after cut from tree limbs into wood pellets before drilled out in filed and sanded.

This was a fun project have some more work to do on them but this is the general idea of what it will look like.post-31975-021238100 1343698174_thumb.jp

Not to derail the thread entirely, but does this remind anyone else of the Monty Python sketch "String?"

When I read it the first time, something seem so familiar about it. Then it hit me, there was a sketch they did about a guy who had 122,000 miles of string that was cut into 3" lengths that he wanted to sell.

Edited by shtoink