esantoro

nylon v. polyester regarding tension adjustments

I was just wondering if bonded nylon or polyestero thread tends to allow for more predictable tension adjustments over the other, or will they both tension the same.

Also, I've noticed that some nylons tend to have quite a bit of stretch to them, noticeable simply in pulling on the thread. Polyester doesn't seem to have this same type of "noticeable" stretch. Artisan has a good price on Linhanyl. How easily can this thread be stretched? It the stretch about the same as that with Eddington and Coats polyester?

ed

Hi Ed,

If you look at the specs, they all are around 25% elongation (that is right at the breaking point). I think a lot of that 25% comes at the very end before it breaks. There is at most about 10 lbs of tension or even less in my machines and I can't for the life of me make a foot of it into a foot and a quarter. I imagine if you take thirty or so feet of it you could make it stretch perceptibly, but there is only a foot and a half in the thread path at most so I just can't see a difference.

Art

I was just wondering if bonded nylon or polyestero thread tends to allow for more predictable tension adjustments over the other, or will they both tension the same.

Also, I've noticed that some nylons tend to have quite a bit of stretch to them, noticeable simply in pulling on the thread. Polyester doesn't seem to have this same type of "noticeable" stretch. Artisan has a good price on Linhanyl. How easily can this thread be stretched? It the stretch about the same as that with Eddington and Coats polyester?

ed

Hi Ed,

If you look at the specs, they all are around 25% elongation (that is right at the breaking point). I think a lot of that 25% comes at the very end before it breaks. There is at most about 10 lbs of tension or even less in my machines and I can't for the life of me make a foot of it into a foot and a quarter. I imagine if you take thirty or so feet of it you could make it stretch perceptibly, but there is only a foot and a half in the thread path at most so I just can't see a difference.

Art

Hi Art,

I know on paper the specs are similar. I've noticed with some of the nylon thread that ships with these machines that the stretch in the nylon is easily perceptible, whereas it's not as easily percptible with the Eddington and Coats.

I'd like to try some of that nylon that Artisan has on sale.

Thanks,

Ed

Here's an invite letter explaining what the group is about and the reason for its being hidden. If you are interested, please let me know and I'll add you.