Peter T

Fid In A Stick, A Bitter-Sweet Tool

G'day Everybody,

When I was camping recently, I found a stick and carved a handle from it to make a fid, just for something to do (did I need a new fid? No, but that's not the point!). I carved all the lumps and bumps in it so that it is just right for my hand. Finished it off at home. Very bitter-sweet. Sweet because it is so comfortable to use. Bitter because I only use it when I am undoing my mistakes...

Pete

post-21724-0-25932500-1383969628_thumb.j

post-21724-0-73784900-1383969642_thumb.j

Always nice to have the right tool for the right job! I've wore out several dismantling my projects. Brad

Beautiful tool. We all use something to take apart the mistakes. You at least made the tool you use.

My mom was quite a sewing person and she told me years ago the busiest tool she had was the ripper for tearing out mistakes!

Now that I think about it, the only fid I have broken is the only one I've had that was a bought one. All the rest I've either made myself or have modified old screwdrivers.

I retired one of these the night I buried it about one and a half cm into my thumb behind the thumbnail. Not a good night! It took months for the resulting black part of my thumbnail to grow out.

Pete

Nice looking tool Pete. I'm not sure how the math works out, but I know I tear apart more than I braid. Buck