pasturepony

Beta/biothane Sewing Machine?

Hi, I like to futz around and make my own horse tack and camping equipment. I'm looking for the least expensive and smallest option sewing machine that can sew through 2-4 layers of standard tack grade beta or biothane without binding up or hurting the machine.

I'm not looking to make large quantities, just personal stuff and some for friends. So hoping for a few lower cost and good used options that will get me through. It doesn't need to be a traditional sewing machine...what about one of the cobbler sewing machine things?

Thanks!!!

I'd suggest you look into a 441 clone, like the Cowboy, Cobra and similar large body, cylinder arm machines with extra heavy duty parts. Examples are Cowboy CB4500, Cobra Class 4. Based on my own experience, you may have to use one size larger needle than would suffice for leather.That is because Biothane tends to heal the bottom of the hole. Thus, to sew Biothane with #277 bonded thread, top and bottom, I'd probably use a #26 needle, rather than the usual #25.

>>4 layers of standard tack grade beta or biothane<<

As that seems to be over 0.40" of material (10mm+) it is going to take the word "smallest" right out the door. The thread and #26 needle size indicated by Wiz probably removes the "cheapest" part as well. You might find a Singer 111w 155 that can be adjusted to do the "cheapest" part with a more modest thread/needle combination, but its still a full sized industrial machine.

-DC

The cheapest sewing machine that is fully capable of sewing 3/8" of leather or Biothane would be the Cowboy CB2500, which is bottom feed only, with a 10.5" cylinder arm and the capability of sewing with thread sizes 138 through 415, using needle sizes 23 through 27. It sews up to 7/16 inches of material and sells for around $1000, without reverse, or about $1300 with reverse, plus shipping.

The next better option would be the newer CB3200, which has triple feed, just like the bigger, more expensive machines. It sells for $1600, plus shipping. That machine sews 1/2 inch, with needles up to #27, which is big enough for sewing #346 bonded nylon into Biothane.

If these prices are too high for your budget, the next best option would be to find a used upholstery grade compound feed machine and settle for using #138 bonded thread. These machines can be found on local ad sites for anywhere from $500 to $1000. Note, old Singer 111 types do not usually have reverse and are limited to just about 3/8", if not slightly less. Newer upholstery machines will sew through 3/8 inches, with #138 thread; possibly even #207, if the machine is in very good condition and the hook is readjusted to pass thicker thread.

Thanks Wizcrafts, and sark9... I guess I could do 2 layers and only 3 if one was the thinner biothane. Then anything four layers (very seldom) use a rivet instead. That might get me down to a thinner size so I fall within the cheaper category...$1k is definitely too much for my few times a year usage.

I'll measure my tack thickness when I get home. :)

Is there a reason reverse is truly needed? You can just leave the needle down, lift the pressor foot, turn the beta, then lower foot, right? I'm sure there's a way to lock the thread so it doesn't pull too? I had an old industrial when I was in college but it's been years.

Is there a reason reverse is truly needed? You can just leave the needle down, lift the pressor foot, turn the beta, then lower foot, right? I'm sure there's a way to lock the thread so it doesn't pull too? I had an old industrial when I was in college but it's been years.

This is what I refer to as "Poor Man's Reverse" - which is the only reverse I have on two of my 6 industrial sewing machines. None of the needle and awl harness stitchers have reverse, nor do shoe sole machines.

This material can be a bugger to feed and in my experience a CB2500/GA5-1/Singer 45k25 will work fine if fitted with a roller foot. The three machines have the same presser foot diameter so the 45k roller foot fits all.