Sign in to follow this  
HanginH

2nd Attempt

Hey Everyone

This is a saddle that I made this winter and it is the second in my very short and very inexperienced career. Right now this is a bit of a hobby and I would love to pursue it more but just don’t have the time or the direction yet. I have been working through the self teach process in the Stohlman books and recently the Dale Harwood DVD’s which have already been incredibly helpful and will continue to be in the future. I would love any advise or suggestions anyone has for me because I do want to get better with my lines and the overall look of my saddles. Might as well strive to be better then just coast along.

Thanks

Justin

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

post-9851-1238105854_thumb.jpg

post-9851-1238105934_thumb.jpg

post-9851-1238105949_thumb.jpg

WOW only your second one?!?! As much as I'd like to find something to pick on, I just can't. I like it, your tooling is great, and it has a nice flow to it. Great work keep it up. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Justin, I think saddle #2 came out well for you. Congrats. Lines on a saddle are a subjective thing to some degree, and we all develop an eye for how we like things to balance and have a "look". I personally think your lines on this saddle are real nice. A couple of things that you might think about on your next saddle are.........on the ears, maybe consider cutting them round and having an even reveal around the rosette. You also might see if you can't get your rear housing / jockeys down tighter.

Nice job! JW

Thank JW I will definetly be doing those things on the next one. I remember reading about using two awls instead of one to try and get the jockey's down tighter. Also I plan on buying a 1 3/4" half round punch for cutting my seat on the next one I make.

Thanks for the advice.

some of your rear jockey issues may be not suffient blocking of the skirts.

Thanks Andy,

On the next one I will make sure to pay special attention to blocking my skirts as it is somethig that you have to do anyway and might as well be done well.

Thanks for the advice