Troy Burch

Smooth Or Lined?

Okay, I'm about to invest in some Barry King tools. I've done mostly art work for a few years and am going to start trying sheridan carving now. I'm not sure which to buy and can't afford both sets at the moment. I'm sure it's a preference thing but would like opinions please. To show my ignorance on the subject where is a leaf liner used, and do I really need it and a center shader? I can't make up my mind if I should go ahead and buy the 400.oo kit or just grab a couple of bevelers and thumb prints. Somebody knock me off this fence, lol. Thanks Troy

I'd really like an opinion from some of you sheridan carvers if you think the smooth bevelers and thumb prints look better than the lined ones. Which ones do you use the most?

If you are really interested Sheridan style, I would strongly suggest you buy the "Sheridan Style Carving" book written by Bill Gardner and Clinton Faye. In my opinion, it is the definitive work on the subject and is available thru Tandys. All of your questions concerning tool selection are covered in great detail, and the reasoning behind each and how each tool is used. Most of the true Sheridan toolers used checkered bevelers because the impressions grab and hold onto antique paste which most of them utilized in their finishing. As Bob Park (Hidepounder) continually points out, Sheridan is not the same as what he calls western style. It is a unique style and the books does a great job of explaining the hows and the whys things are done.

Hope this helps,

Terry