captain

How To Fix Small Holes In The Corner Of An Old Leather Bag (Glue?)

Hi guys.

I have an old WW2 leather mail bag.

It is in great shape overall but on one side, both corners have slightly pulled away from the bag leaving about a 1/2" slit in the leather.

It seems like a hard area to sew and I was just wondering if there was any easier way to patch or just keep it together.

Could leather glue work in this situation? If so, what's the best leather glue and are there any local stores that would carry it? Would gorilla glue or shooe goop work?(I need it asap)

The holes don't effect the integrity of the bag but I just don't want the elements to get in there. So I basically just need something to keep the edges together. (the corners don't move)

Thanks guys!

photo_zps8ba42ad9.jpg

Edited by captain

I would use crazy glue and clamp it closed.

Put wax paper between the clamp and leather.

The crazy glue will run into the bottom of the crack.

I would use crazy glue and clamp it closed.

Put wax paper between the clamp and leather.

The crazy glue will run into the bottom of the crack.

Would something made for leather like shoe goo be better? I've heard plain super glue isn't good for leather.

Thanks!

Any of the CA glues (Cyanoacrylate) will work for that type of repair. I use it quite a bit whan I want to adhere something to leather and want a permanent bond. I prefer the Locktite brand super glue.

Any of the CA glues (Cyanoacrylate) will work for that type of repair. I use it quite a bit whan I want to adhere something to leather and want a permanent bond. I prefer the Locktite brand super glue.

Would that be leather proof and semi-permanent?

Does anyone use shoe goo? Sorry to keep bringing that up I have just heard good things about it with leather

I haven't used shoe goo, Locktite brand super glue is also what has worked well for me.

I haven't used shoe goo, Locktite brand super glue is also what has worked well for me.

How is longevity of it? Is it waterproof?

I've just never had good luck with superglue. Always used glues like gorilla glue (in general, not for leather. This is the first time I have had to use glue for leather)

Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by leather proof? It would be permanent. If glued correctly the first time you would have a heck of a time pulling it apart after the repair has cured. I have used shoe goo in the past a long time ago for a repair. It is rubbery and will have more squeeze out to clean up. There is a reason they call it Goo. It may work, However after doing leatherwork for forty years I prefer to use the super glue type adhesives for the type of repair you wish to do.

This is the type of application I use the locktite glue for. The chess knight is cut out of leather and painted with acrylic. I did not want any stitching showing so I used the super glue.It will not come off it is on there very permanently and is waterproof.

post-15001-0-08457000-1379879999_thumb.j

Not sure what you mean by leather proof? It would be permanent. If glued correctly the first time you would have a heck of a time pulling it apart after the repair has cured. I have used shoe goo in the past a long time ago for a repair. It is rubbery and will have more squeeze out to clean up. There is a reason they call it Goo. It may work, However after doing leatherwork for forty years I prefer to use the super glue type adhesives for the type of repair you wish to do.

This is the type of application I use the locktite glue for. The chess knight is cut out of leather and painted with acrylic. I did not want any stitching showing so I used the super glue.It will not come off it is on there very permanently and is waterproof.

Thanks! I'll take your word for it on the locktite as I am very new to this...that's what I'll go with.

I had said waterproof in the post before, but I did some research and it seems to be waterproof.

These leather mailbags were made for the elements so I want as waterproof of a bond as I can for these small holes.

Thanks again!

It works for me, hopefully you will have the same success. A couple of tips: it will glue your fingers to the leather so wear glove and be carefull with it. The locktite bottle is a squeeze type bottle you squeeze the ribbed sides so it is controlable. You want to put in enough to cover the area for repair. any squeeze out can be wiped away if you do it quickly. Use a clamp of some type to hold the reapir together once you have it clamped walk away and do something else. Yes super gluedoes set up quickly however it needs time to cure. Picking at it to see if it is dry and the repair has taken will only undo your work. Noneed to ask me how I know:). Just let it sit an hour or two before removing the clamp. Trust me it is waterproof and permanently bonding if done right. I am also a Knife maker and use the locktite super glue to glue handle scales onto the metal handle of the knife. I have never had one come back because a scale fell off.

Great. Thanks!

It's right on 2 corners of the bag so clamping it will be the tricky part (and keeping it in the right place).

I will probably just use some small clamps or even one of the paper clamps.

I hesitated commenting here because I don't like raining on anyone's parade. But...

Glue? Nah. No glue will replace the missing worn leather and I don't care how "super" any glue is, it won't wear like leather.

Take a look at this series of videos featuring a self-described leather "refurbisher," then judge for yourself.

And Good Luck,

Michelle