Sign in to follow this  
EquusCustomLeathers

Speaking Of Juki Lu563..

I am having more problems with my Juki. I had a sewing machine mechanic have a look at my machine, and he's telling me that the bobbin race is worn out and needs to be replaced. I don't mean to question an expert, but it just doesn't make sense to me. I have had this machine for a couple of years now, but I have only used it a handful of times, and the heaviest I have sewn on it is chap leather.

In order for me to have it replaced, I have to take it to Toronto to have Mr Garde look at it. So, before I spend who knows how much on replacement parts, I thought I would ask here...is this a common problem with this machine?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Zina

They do wear out, but I've seen huge amounts of wear and have the machine still sew well. Usually you replace the entire hook assembly. The last I did was on a Mitsubishi. Here's the test I do. Remove the throat plate and grab the basket where the bobbin goes. Push down hard and rotate the basket around the inside of the hook. If it catches at any point, replace the entire hook. If not, keep it well oiled and make sure the latch opener is adjusted properly. What kind of issues are you having? Usually when they begin to bind up, you'll get large loops of the needle thread on the underside of what you're sewing.

Regards, Eric

Thank you Eric. I tried what you have suggested, and it isn't catching anywhere. When I try to get the bobbin thread to pull up, the top thread is getting caught underneath the whole assembly, and not catching the bobbin thread at all. The mechanic that came said that the timing is fine on it, so apparently that isn't the problem. Any other ideas?

Zina

Zina, take a look at this video I just made while at work a bit ago. You will see on the hook on the right the amount of play. This is fairly normal for a used industral machine. I only replaced the left hook when I could no longer stop the large loops on the bottom of the fabric. Does the amount of play in yours compare with the hook on the right side in this video? There are other conditions which can cause what you describe. If the basket is actually hanging up and getting stuck at times, you'll need to replace both the hook and the basket. You wouldn't normally replace one without replacing the other.

Regards, Eric

Eric, video makes things much easier to understand..thank you! I checked it out, and there is no play at all..it turns very smoothly as well.

Zina

Eric, video makes things much easier to understand..thank you! I checked it out, and there is no play at all..it turns very smoothly as well.

Zina

It's so easy to blame a machine problem on a bad part when most of the time it's an adjustment. Is there by chance another mechanic who knows industrial machines around? The folks who repair home machines simply don't have the kind of experience you need if that's the case. It's frustrating for you to have to pay someone and have it not work, when someone with the right experience could likely get it sewing good for you in no time. Of course it's really hard to tell without being able to see the machine. Make sure of that it's threaded right, that you have the correct needle inserted the correct way. In the near future, I'm going to be making some easy to understand videos on machine adjustment and repair. Hopefuly they'll be helpful for folks to take more control of their own repairs and adjustments. At least that's free.

Regards, Eric

You're right..it is really frustrating when this happens. The mechanic that fixes my machines is a great guy..he usually comes within a day when I need him, sometimes works for hours for not much money and he's a charmer:) I think it 's upsetting for him as well, when he can't figure something out, and in all fairness, I may be asking too much of him.

Thank you so much for taking the time to try to help..do you do shop calls? Washington State isn't really THAT far from Barrie Ontario! LOL

Zina

LOL Offer him Steak and Beer.... and maybe a good guided hunt in addition to his normal hourly rate and I bet he would be up there in a heartbeat to help you out

LOL Offer him Steak and Beer.... and maybe a good guided hunt in addition to his normal hourly rate and I bet he would be up there in a heartbeat to help you out

:) I have had people ship their machine heads to me and I repair them in one of my tables then ship them back. I NEVER charge for that because I already make a good living repairing the machines in the factory. Freight for a 60lb machine can be expensive, but so can paying a mechanic that doesn't fix your problem. I also let the employees bring in their home machines which I also repair for free. I really don't like mechanics charging for stuff they can't fix. It sounds like Zina has a pretty good guy there and I'm sure he felt bad.

Regards, Eric

Ha ha! If anyone needs coyote pelts, I have about 40-50 of them "on the hoof" around here..Just sit on the porch and peg them off!

There you go!