Mugsy

Using Leather Dye To Make Patterns

Take a look at the pics below, this is not my work, I really like the way different dyes are being used to crate a design. I tried something similar with "delicate surface" painters tape, and I got clean dye lines, but the tape damages the leather when removed. Anyone have an idea how this is done?

Thanks in advance.

flagone.jpg

flagthree.jpg

flagtwo.jpg

Edited by Mugsy

Those are some pretty cool patterns. I too would be interested in knowing how this is done. My guess would be they used some type of stencil and airbrush it or possibly screen printed the design on the leather.

The pics were taken from an Etsy seller, in his description he claims that it's leather dye and not a paint. If it's a stencil is love to know how he gets the sharp lines w/o the dye bleeding over...

I didn't think about an airbrush. I have no experience with that

I wonder if he used a paper stencil, wrapped around and taped to the backside, and airbrushed over with dye.

Hi, Mugsy.

I never did it but this is how I will do or how I see things.

We gonna put a letter for every color for this star template:
Brown - a
Red - b
Blue - c
Natural - d
You need three templates to finish this
How you gonna get templates, Ian Atkinson explain in "Making a Moulded Leather Possibles Pouch" video on YouTube (scroll to 43,18 min)

No1. a, c, d shape (this means that your template is bigger than your cover so the sides can be attach outside the cover, so this temp looks like Omega letter in mirror)
No2. b, c, d shape
No3. a, b, d shape (did you notice that edges of the star ar not sharp witch means that star is attach to b color
So
1. Put temp No2 and airbrush brown
2. Put temp No1 and airbrush red
3. Put temp No3 and airbrush blue

This is the game that I like a lot and you should try to play. It will give you a think... :)
http://www.kongregate.com/games/candystand/copy-cat

Regards
Aleksandar