Pit 4 Brains

Wax Loss

Is there any concern about the overall "de-waxing" of thread or artificial sinew after doing 30 or forty stitches? I was stitching up a holster today and noticed that the thread (A.S.) was almost devoid of wax by the fiftieth stitch, or at least not nearly as waxy as the first few. After I set the stitches with a mallet, they all look the same and are very consistent.

While I'm here, will wiping the the leather with alcohol before dyeing affect the wax in the stitches?

Thanks..

Don't know about dyeing after stitching, so can't help you there. As far as waxing, I generally will rewax after 12 or so stitches especially when I am using linen thread, I think it helps set the thread in the hole better, and certainly keeps the fraying down. Just my own made up way, based on my experience, since no one told me one way or another. Perhaps an expert somewhere can help out as well, I'd be interested in knowing too!

YinTx

I might pick up a bit of beeswax to use as I stitch. I was using artificial sinew and it was fraying quite a bit. Thanks for the tip..

I use both ready waxed thread, and unwaxed thread and wax it just before use. Then I re- wax as required when I'm stitching. Obviously the longer the stitching the more likely you will need to re-wax

Yes, get some beeswax, it's not expensive. Besides waxing thread it has vatious uses in leatherwork, including lubricating stitching chisels & awls

Wax is not soluble in alcohol, so in theory it will not be removed by wiping a finished article with alcohol. But in practice there will not be a full, even coating of wax on the thread so there will be a fair amount of accumulation or adherence of a stain on and around the thread and the line of stiching. This will wear off slightly as the item is used, and depending on your point of view it can produce a satisfying mature or mellow appearance.

The only way to avoid this is to do all your staining before sewing.

I use both ready waxed thread, and unwaxed thread and wax it just before use. Then I re- wax as required when I'm stitching. Obviously the longer the stitching the more likely you will need to re-wax

Yes, get some beeswax, it's not expensive. Besides waxing thread it has vatious uses in leatherwork, including lubricating stitching chisels & awls

Wax is not soluble in alcohol, so in theory it will not be removed by wiping a finished article with alcohol. But in practice there will not be a full, even coating of wax on the thread so there will be a fair amount of accumulation or adherence of a stain on and around the thread and the line of stiching. This will wear off slightly as the item is used, and depending on your point of view it can produce a satisfying mature or mellow appearance.

The only way to avoid this is to do all your staining before sewing.

Staining before stitching. I haven't thought of that yet. That would really help keep the leather clean for a nice consistent finish. Right now (I'm still very unexperienced) I keep finding areas of my projects that did not take to the staining for one reason or another. I was assuming it was either wax residue from stitching or skin oil from all the incidental handling. Besides, if I botch a finish job, then I won't waste time stitching.

Thanks!