TConrad

First Machine

I've been looking around for a great deal on sewing machine. 3 possibles. PFAFF 260 with nice desk 100.00- Singer 66-16 ok desk 75.00 or a Remington JA58 unseen at a sewing shop that they say has been completly looked over and runs great. I mite add the PFAFF has a problem with the bobbin tention????? Singer, the guy says it ran great 5 years ago but has been in storage sence. looks great in photo. SO I know the info is patchy but I'm getting antsy to start sewing some wallets. Just bought 3-4 oz . (What ya'll Thank) I'll drink another and wait for a reply, By the way im pulling the trigger in the morning!

Hi Conrad,

I'm really coming up blank on the Remington JA58, is there a chance it could be a Standard Streamliner, circa 1955?

Stay away from the Pfaff, the parts will eat your arm off.

The 66 is a nice little machine, as with all home machines, the motors are crap.

Like I said, I'm not sure what the Remmy is.

If you could luck into a good Singer 31-15 in the $200-$300 range, that is a very good and appropriate machine for wallets and other lightweight work, much much more so than any of the machines above.

Art

I've been looking around for a great deal on sewing machine. 3 possibles. PFAFF 260 with nice desk 100.00- Singer 66-16 ok desk 75.00 or a Remington JA58 unseen at a sewing shop that they say has been completly looked over and runs great. I mite add the PFAFF has a problem with the bobbin tention????? Singer, the guy says it ran great 5 years ago but has been in storage sence. looks great in photo. SO I know the info is patchy but I'm getting antsy to start sewing some wallets. Just bought 3-4 oz . (What ya'll Thank) I'll drink another and wait for a reply, By the way im pulling the trigger in the morning!

Bought the 66 Its in great shape and cuts through two ply 7-8 oz like butter. VERY HAPPY

BUT what size thread and neddles should i be useing I'm lost fabric store had ton of stuff but it all looked thin. So i biught thread called heavy( still looks thin ) 40 -50 gauge --- Is it like a shot gun smaller - thicker OR smaller thinner.

Edited by TConrad

Bought the 66 Its in great shape and cuts through two ply 7-8 oz like butter. VERY HAPPY

BUT what size thread and neddles should i be useing I'm lost fabric store had ton of stuff but it all looked thin. So i biught thread called heavy( still looks thin ) 40 -50 gauge --- Is it like a shot gun smaller - thicker OR smaller thinner.

Your little Singer 66 Class can sew up to #69 bonded nylon thread, which is fine for light leather and vinyl projects. You can buy tons of it on eBay, or from the various sources on this forum. It comes in spools of 4 ozs, 8 ozs, or 16 ozs and is available in many colors. The spools range from 4" to 8" high and 2" to 4" in diameter.

Get some #110 (US #18) leatherpoint needles to sew the #69 thread. It uses standard home needles, with a flat on one side. You can get by with a number 100/16 LR needle, but that is really pushing the envelope.

You will need to either buy a thread stand, or make one, so that the thread is pulled straight up from the top of the spool of thread, then over to the eyelets on the machine. Play with the top and bobbin tensions until the knot sets in the middle of the layers.

You may want to look for a more powerful motor. You should buy a walking foot ("even feed") pressor foot attachment to keep the leather from dragging on the steel pressor foot. Singer home machines all use a low shank pressor foot. You can buy these at Joanne Fabrics, or on eBay.

Don't try to sew anything over a quarter inch with that machine or you might damage it. The mechanism is not designed to absorb the impact of penetrating and sewing hard leather, but garment or chap leather should be ok.

Eventually, you will outgrow this classic machine and want something more substantial. When that day comes, click over to the Leather Sewing Machines section of the forum and we will assist you with your search for the best machine for your projects and finances. Note, that I am referring to big industrial machines that have separate large 1/2 HP clutch or servo motors under a hardwood table on steel legs.

Here is a picture of one I bought last summer for under $500...

IMG_1300.jpg

post-11118-126233550826_thumb.jpg