Zonker

Leather Civil War(Inspired) Kepi

I was reading on some re-enactment forums where people had asked for patterns for kepis and they always got these pompous answers about study, read tons of books , visit museums, spend a billion hours perfecting it, buy one dissect it copy it, then my od thats stealing other people's work blah blah blah . Now while I understand all of that honestly, the person usually just asked if a pattern was available. there are many reasons why they may not have been able to do all of that but anyway. I thought how hard can it be? Especially if you are going for the general style not an accurate historical copy. So I set down with some paper and scissors and tape while the rest of the family was watching tv about 20 minutes later to the garage for leather acouple of hours later boom! i am going to be doing a tutorial/pattern thread on my forum on facebook but if anyone wants i can post here as well.

post-20394-084800700 1310488343_thumb.jp

post-20394-067888900 1310488356_thumb.jp

post-20394-032985700 1310488365_thumb.jp

That is an interesting design. I am pretty sure I know who you are over on FB. GW?

That is an interesting design. I am pretty sure I know who you are over on FB. GW?

Sorry radar but GW doesnt ring a bell. My facebook is http://www.facebook.com/brian.abercrombie and anybody here is welcome to add me, This is my only rule on adding people: I am not interested in going to your web cam, nor in learning how to win a free ipod, nor adding bling to any aspect of my life. So if I do not know who you are and your picture looks like a stripper, or gangsta, or snake oil salesman you might outa message me with what we might have in common before adding me. I have stripper/gangsta/snake oil salesman friends but refer back to the first thing before adding me.:rolleyes:

post-15912-026204800 1310525707_thumb.jpHere is a pic of one I bought back in 1979 from The Sandalmakers shop on Pier 39 in SF CA-my brother was the controller for the pier at the time.post-15912-026204800 1310525707_thumb.jp

post-15912-026204800 1310525707_thumb.jpHere is a pic of one I bought back in 1979 from The Sandalmakers shop on Pier 39 in SF CA-my brother was the controller for the pier at the time.post-15912-026204800 1310525707_thumb.jp

Big Gun I like that alot. I havent worked with suede(it looks like suede, is it?) It seems like it would be easier and I should give it a whirl.

Glad to see ya made it over here Brian. Tons of info here. Welcome!

Glad to see ya made it over here Brian. Tons of info here. Welcome!

Hey Steve this place could contribute immensley to my inability to focus on what I am supposed to be doing. Its already produced extra work for me because i showed a few things to the wife and daughter.

Zonker, had the wrong name in my head, but I do know you on FB. You should know me as Cannon.

Zonker, had the wrong name in my head, but I do know you on FB. You should know me as Cannon.

Ahh yes I most certainly do. How goes?

It is going good. What is the sizing on your kepi?

Mines roughly 24 inches circumference. 6 inch diameter top circle

Hey Steve this place could contribute immensley to my inability to focus on what I am supposed to be doing. Its already produced extra work for me because i showed a few things to the wife and daughter.

evillaugh.gifWelcome to the club!

i've always liked the design of the kepi (didn't realize that's what it's called). but what is it's purpose - i mean, why not just make a hat instead of that design? was there a reason that they were made to look like that instead of a typical hat?

Define typical hat, and for what century. Google up kepi for the history-they go way back, and were used by several countries.

Yep it is suede. I still remember when I bought it, and thinking that $25 was a lot of money for a hat. The brow needs some repair on the inside as sweat has rotted it over the years. I believe that the bill is a Latigo, as when it get hot down here the bill droops down. It is also doubled up in the top, and base which contribute to it's heft. Over the years it has developed a bit of character after being exposed to years in the Scouts; bailing out a canoe, endless campfires, sweat, dirt, rain, and many years as my daily hat. I am looking to make a lighter weight version for summer use since I have become a desert dweller. The next one will probably be cloth though to keep it light, and cool.

I have always liked this style hat, and it helped me be me, and not another sheep.

I liked this line--You laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at you because you are all the same.

BigGun I would think a nice lightweight one could be done in canvas with a bit of facing inside around the back.But might not need the facing. Maybe do the top in 5 ounce tooling then the top of your head would keep it up and the material itself would support itself. Just have to either cover the top or paint it to match. If I have enough canvas around I might try it this weekend.