Sign in to follow this  
PHIPPS CRAFTED LEATHER

Burnishing Leather Idea Or Folly

Alright, I hope this is a poor mans brain storm, I was in my new Hobby Lobby in Hanover, Pa (in case noboby local to there knew it opened) and I spy with my eye (ah, ha) spindles in numerous shapes and sizes made from birch. And $1.42 a bag. I'm thinking and hoping that after a little lite sanding these would make great egde burnishers that could be attached to any number or power tools.

Alright, I hope this is a poor mans brain storm, I was in my new Hobby Lobby in Hanover, Pa (in case noboby local to there knew it opened) and I spy with my eye (ah, ha) spindles in numerous shapes and sizes made from birch. And $1.42 a bag. I'm thinking and hoping that after a little lite sanding these would make great egde burnishers that could be attached to any number or power tools.

For hand burnishing birch will be fine. It's a stronger, harder wood than the poplar used by Tandy for their hand burnishing sticks. It will still break down faster than rosewood/cocobolo due to it's wide grain pattern but with hand burnishing that will take awhile. Hitting it with a friction polish like Mylands will help burnish and semi-seal the wood surface/pours which will keep the leather lubricants on the surface instead of in the grain where they can soften it and cause it to break down faster.