tossik

How Much Should I Expect To Pay For Vergez Blanchard Irons?

Hi all, I have been looking for some Vergez Blanchard irons, and prices range from like $200-500 an iron! I am in US, and was wondering what should I expect to pay for a #9 or #10 irons?

Thanks!

LOL. They are worth the money at least.

You could try Vergez blanchard's website. Last time I checked all the items are the same price as fineleatherworking.com, probably more because fineleatherworking buys in bulk and pays less for duties and shipping than it would for you to get it shipped from france. Free shipping over 100 within USA but not Canada, which is dumb, shipping is nearly the same price. Contact the owner and he replies within a few hours.

First I would figure out :

• how many prongs(4 prongs, 6? 10?) 4 teeth IMO is time consuming and a lot of times lines come out crooked on thicker leather. Many use 4 teeth from what I see and it works for them. For production use the extra 50 dollars or so for a few extra teeth will save a minute or two per piece.
  • regular or portmanteau(cost extra)
  • How many SPI (if 7 SPI and 6 prongs it will be similar length to 9 SPI 8-9 prongs)

Going rate is 229 for 10 prongs (too many prongs for small wallets IMO, great size for bags) and somewhere near 130-150 for 6 prongs I believe I was quoted, could of been more. Also factor in that you may want a 2 prong iron too for curves.

I am hoping to get maybe 6 or 10 prong as well as 2 prong. Don't know what size to get.. I mainly do wallets, belts and folios. And I know everyone says its all preference, but I don't know what my preference is if I have not seen the difference between a 7spi and a 10spi in person...

TPI depends on the thickness of your leather and thread size. 6 and 7 tpi for thick leather and larger threads. 8-10 tpi as the leather thins and 11-12 for very fine leather & thread used for watchbands.

Edited by thefanninator