Sign in to follow this  
troppy

Should I Use 7/8Oz Or 8/9Oz For Holsters

Hi everyone should I use 7/8oz or 8/9oz leather? I'm currently using 8/9oz on all my holsters(IWB and OWB), I find it's very hard to cut and mold..Any help would be great!

Edited by troppy

Hi everyone should I use 7/8oz or 8/9oz leather? I'm currently using 8/9oz on all my holsters(IWB and OWB), I find it's very hard to cut and mold..Any help would be great!

I use 7/8 sometimes 6/7.

For most applications I find that 7/8 works very well. 8/9 is useful for the heaviest applications but, as you have noted, it can add to the work for the maker.

Holster style and the size/weight of the handgun should also be considered. For the smaller and lighter handguns (J-frame S&W, PPK, P230, etc) several holster styles can be made very satisfactorily from 6/7 oz. cowhide. The type and style of belt attachments need to be considered when doing this, as the lighter leather does not resist belt tension and distortion as well as the heavier leathers.

There is nothing wrong with experimenting, making your holster designs in different weights and for different handguns so you can evaluate the results. This helps you to gain knowledge and experience that will benefit you in the future.

Best regards.

I like 8/9 or even 9/10 oz. for tooled holsters as I like for my tooling to be deep. For smooth holsters I would back off to 7/8 oz. for smaller guns but stay with 8/9 oz. for larger guns like full size 1911s, single actions, etc. I line any holster I make but the lining leather is so soft it doesn't add any shape holding ability.

I bought a double shoulder of 7/8 ounce leather when I first decided to try and make a holster. It worked great. After I used it all, I went back to get more, and they were out. They did sell me a double shoulder of 8/9 ounce for the same price. I liked the 7/8 oz better, but either makes a fine holster.