DoubleC

Getting A Consew Walking Foot Sewing Machine

Can't tell you much about it, was hoping for some information here. I don't have a picture OR model number but know it was made in 1941 to sew tents in the army. It has a long throat, I think the guy said 19". Can you guys give me some ideas of what I might be getting? He traded up for a new Cowboy or Cobra, something like that at Sheridan. Used it for 2 years before that. He is a prolific LW and turns out nice products everyday so I'm pretty sure it will be a nice machine although old. He said speed wasn't any problem but I imagine it has a clutch instead of a servo, although I'm not sure. I know you all probably think I'm crazy since I know so little but between his LW and ranch work, he is really hard to track down at times. Any ideas on what the learning curve will be after my old singers, and things I should know about old walking foot machines? Thanks, Cheryl

The old Consew long body is probably very similar to the Singer 139 long body I bought from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. It has a triple feed walking foot system, but no reverse. Mine has the stitch length adjuster as a knob that protrudes from the right end of the hand wheel. Turning it clockwise shortens the stitches and vise-verse.

This type of machine, should yours match it, will sew up to 3/8 inch of compressed material. Thread capacity is probably limited to #138, or possibly #207 on top and 138 in the bobbin. I have no idea about the size of your machine's bobbin until you take possession of it and measure the bobbins. My machine was converted to a Juki hook, which uses the Juki LU extra large bobbins.

Due to the long bed you will have an easy time sewing patches onto vests and jackets!

Thanks Wiz. I know nothing about the industrial machines. I've never even seen a walking foot in person. I'm glad to hear that about jackets because I already have a job to put some patches on a jacket and repair a seam. I asked them to wait until the machine came. I am pretty excited. Thanks again for the info Wiz. Cheryl

Wiz I wanted to ask you about wax pots and oil pans and such? Is this something I'm going to be able to figure out?