I've been making hand bags and wallets just for family and friends for awhile now. I got into doing some out of faux leather,suede etc. lots of layers to some of them. I have have difficultts going though some of it with my emboridery sewing machine and husband thought that it might not be a good idea to sew this with this type of machine. So I was wondering what would be a good place to started looking, into what machine to get ? I'd like something that might get me to leather too. something reliable but not too spendy. I've looked into pfaff 300, and reliance (I believe) walking foot. I've readed so much at this point that I'm overwelmed!!! PLEASE HELP!!! :helpsmilie:

Well, it really depends how much sewing you want to do and how thick you're going to go. If you're going to sew leather in any quantity, you need an industrial machine. A regular home machine, or even a "heavy duty" model isn't going to get you very far when you start feeding leather into it. Leather's just too tough to be punched by plastic parts, and it needs heavier thread than a regular sewing machine can throw. It's possible to get by for a while on a heavy duty machine, but it's not going to last long at all - it'd kinda be like taking the family's SUV and actually taking it offroad through mud, rocks and mountains and expecting it to come out alive. Suede is a bit easier than anything with a top grain, but that's going to add up fast once you start doubling it up. When you're dealing with heavy stuff, a walking foot is essential, and most light machines will have just an addon part instead of a true walking foot. There are walking foot upholstery machines that are relatively inexpensive, but those are geared more towards vinyls, canvas and those types of materials. If you're doing anything with veg-tan or sewing over 1/4" seams and welts, imho, you need a dedicated leather machine. Sometimes used ones come on the market, but expect to spend at least $1000 for anything new.

Or you could just hand sew everything, like I do since I haven't saved up for a bigger machine yet. Awl and two needles, or if it's flimsy material, diamond punch the stitch line and sew through the holes. I'm only churning out a few big projects a week, so the time a machine would save isn't as much as if I was really doing production. If and when my needles can't keep up with demand, that's when I'll order something big, shiny and powerful.

Edited by BAD HIDE

Well, it really depends how much sewing you want to do and how thick you're going to go. If you're going to sew leather in any quantity, you need an industrial machine. A regular home machine, or even a "heavy duty" model isn't going to get you very far when you start feeding leather into it. Leather's just too tough to be punched by plastic parts, and it needs heavier thread than a regular sewing machine can throw. It's possible to get by for a while on a heavy duty machine, but it's not going to last long at all - it'd kinda be like taking the family's SUV and actually taking it offroad through mud, rocks and mountains and expecting it to come out alive. Suede is a bit easier than anything with a top grain, but that's going to add up fast once you start doubling it up. When you're dealing with heavy stuff, a walking foot is essential, and most light machines will have just an addon part instead of a true walking foot. There are walking foot upholstery machines that are relatively inexpensive, but those are geared more towards vinyls, canvas and those types of materials. If you're doing anything with veg-tan or sewing over 1/4" seams and welts, imho, you need a dedicated leather machine. Sometimes used ones come on the market, but expect to spend at least $1000 for anything new.

Or you could just hand sew everything, like I do since I haven't saved up for a bigger machine yet. Awl and two needles, or if it's flimsy material, diamond punch the stitch line and sew through the holes. I'm only churning out a few big projects a week, so the time a machine would save isn't as much as if I was really doing production. If and when my needles can't keep up with demand, that's when I'll order something big, shiny and powerful.

I've been looking into a couple walking foot machine.

Sailrite, rieliable 2000u33,mini brute know anything about these?

go and look around localy or craig list for Singer 111-155/56 or the some what newer Singer 211-155/56

some have reverse, some of em not.....you can get them sometimes for 300-600 dollar and they will sew 138 thread or a tad bigger....plenty enough for wallets and even chaps and small belts!!

Come on over to the sewing machine section on this forum.....there is plenty info and help!!!

Sailrite machines are to small and to expensive!!

Get a good used Singer and you are ready to rock!!

Jimbob