I am dip dying using Friebings oil dye cut with denatured alcohol. What am I doing wrong to get the vertical streaks and dark spots. I have not had this problem before?

post-16484-0-41985200-1446819021_thumb.j

post-16484-0-65646800-1446819037_thumb.j

Where did the piece of leather come from? A shoulder? The streaks look like wrinkles in the leather.

Do you pour the dye into a container to dip in or leave it in the same container. If its stationary it might need to be stirred a little to get some of the pigments re-integrated. If you pour back and forth then I can't see this being an issue.

The strip came from the back. The dye does stay in the same container all the time. I shake it a little before I dip but I haven't paid much attention to making sure it mixed well. I will try that and see. THanks.

I've had this happen...don't know the cause, but sometimes if you let it set for a week or so it will even out a little and then rub/buff it until you get everything blended together.

Sometimes this works and sometimes not.

I have also used a bench buffer to even out the color of the dye, but be careful that you don't burn the leather. One word of caution...this will darken your leather.